Profile picture for jerzgirl

Rotate photos

• December 20 2013 - Apex
  • 0

Good afternoon, JerzGirl:
You need to upload photos in the correct orientation to have them display correctly. Open with a photo editing program, rotate and save in the correct position, then re-upload.

Profile picture for blue screen exile
1) Zillow only gets feeds from 2 of the approximately 800 MLS's in the nation; the MLS's don't want to share data with websites like this; they feed to other sites, and the other sites choose to syndicate to Zillow or not.

2) The question is not about IDX feeds at all!  It is about uploading photos from selected mobile devices, specifically i-phones and i-pads.

3) Though there may be photo orientation embedded into the JPG file headers, there is no standard documentation on how that is encoded.  It is a proprietary Apple product issue.

4) The standard JPG file uploading software that Zillow got from some place else doesn't read the file headers.

So what are they supposed to do?  They've known about the problem at least since MAY 2013; I have an E-mail I sent to them on the issue at that time, and their response was:  "Photos are definitely a hot topic and it is certainly possible to offer some post processing capabilities in app if needed.  I would appreciate a little more context if possible. Are we talking about the Digs app? Is the issue that they take photos on device and they show up in the wrong orientation on the app? On the web?".  I answered their question, and still no fixes to the website.

I'm thinking they got involved in other things and maybe forgot the priority.  I'm thinking I better send another E-mail; but they won't see it until Monday now.

Zillow's IDX feed for pictures from various MLS system through out the country maybe are controlled at the local MLS level. Many MLS's are making money off certain fields that they provide to varies IDX feeds to many providers.

I'm figuring/guessing if the list price has not changed or mls number not changed, Zillow is only pinging certain fields in your mls, think about bandwidth, servicers, etc.
    Suggest to manually rotate your photos, via Zillow dashboard.
  Living in the Northeast, I hate it when it is June and I see an agent's listing with snow photos, they are not doing the seller any favors, pictures do sell, the more the better. Hope this helps

Profile picture for Outer Banks N C
Seems odd to me that Zillow can guess at a value for every home in America but can't rotate a picture.

Just saying ................................

Profile picture for blue screen exile
No method yet... Zillow is aware of the problem.  You should use your ipad or I-phone in the horizontal mode, and repost.

Or you will have to transfer the pictures to a desk-top machine and rotate with software there before uploading.