Profile picture for whitearbor

SCAM ALERT: sandra stevens sstevens124@gmail.com from edinburgh scotland. same scam on craigslist!!

wanted pictures and info on home.  scam alert to all
  • Question refers to 1218 Savannah Ln, Monroe, GA 30655
  • 1

Profile picture for huhtalata
Andy/Andrew Bishop was REALLY interested in buying my house for the "make me move" price. Weird.

I eventually googled his home address and found this link. Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this SCAM ALERT. Here's a copy and paste of his email:

"Thanks for getting back to me on time,i am satisfied with the answers you gave me and would not like to be a bother to you, but i just want to know the security situation of the neighbourhood and if it is a safe place for me and my family as i feel security of my family is very important as i will be at work most of the time and would like to have my mind at rest when i am away from home. I would also like to know if there are any places of leisure and fun around or if there is a park situated around just for asking purposes.Hope the neighbours are good and peaceful and wont give me much problems. It would also be very helpful if you could tell me the average electricity bill per month and if there would be any appliances left in the house when you move out. I would be in the states by the First week of August, but my company can provide   me with temporary accommodation when i am around, so we can conclude transactions,before the end of August. Would this work for you?                                                                           Let me tell you more about myself.I work with the United nations development program(UNDP).I have been working there for 5 years.I just got a transfer that would be bringing me down to Utah in the states. My transfer would be for a period between 6-10 years, so i figured it would be better to buy a house instead of renting it. I am planning to sell my house here before i move to the united states as i already have some solid offers on ground and its just a matter of weeks before my house goes of the market.
I am married with no kids. I and my Wife actually got married last year. My Full name is Andrew Bishop and  my Wife's name is June Katherine Bishop .she is a school teacher,I am 39 years old and my wife is 35.Our current house address is 55d Rose Street, EH2 2NH Edinburgh Scotland. We are a peace loving family and would not be any trouble at all.
      I would be happy to send you a non refundable deposit of $1000 so that you can secure the place for me till i get there.My company office in the States would be responsible for the payment.I can tell them to deduct $1000 from my Travel Allowance and send to you.This is to serve as a non refundable deposit so that you would know i am serious about buying.I would sign the contract agreement and pay up the agreed amount when i come over to the states and we meet in person and also after i have fully inspected the house and everything is to my satisfaction. I would also like to know your final price on the property so that i can forward it to my company and if you could send me more details and pictures of the house if possible.
I have never been to Utah, but i know it is a beautiful place,me and my wife are really looking forward to relocating, and we wont mind to make it permanent, We are relocating because my company assigned me there, and we want too,before we decided on Utah we had researched on it and we know its a great place, so we don't have any doubts about the area, and we are hoping to buy as soon as possible and we can work with  you on this, to meet your time frame, as for the payment we would be paying cash.
Please send me your full name and  Home address so that i can forward it to my company and the deposit can get to you soon.Are there any other details you think i need to know about the Place?Please get back to me.
I hope you had a great weekend , hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks a lot.

Regards
Andy Bishop
+447031564820"

Profile picture for Trading Up Dev
Got the same scam thing from Paul Scott.  Today I received three $850 Moneygram money orders, despite the fact that he was supposed to send a "deposit" of $1900.  Obviously I never expected this to progress to this level. I called Moneygram and they confirmed that the money orders are all fake.  I have to say- they look excellent.  I was going to just ignore this idiot, but I guess now I have to file a police report.  Interesting thing is that since the money orders arrived via UPS Overnight, they might have some insight on tracking this scum.  ***Fingers crossed***

Profile picture for deestore
Got an email from paul.scott606@gmail.com
 that says:
Hi, I read through your ad, and i am very much interested in purchasing your property.

Glad I googled this person's email address before responding.  It sounded too good to be true, especially since I just posted my house in the "make me move" section of Zillow.

Profile picture for Scannie
I just received the same email from Andy Bishop. I responded to the original inquiry and got an identical letter to all the other ones that have been posted. I responded because we were under a time crunch with another offer and asked him where his new work would be. He wouldn't say, just wanted my full name and address. I Googled his company to find there is not a division here or in Scotland. So beware!!! I am reporting this to consumer protection.

Profile picture for lbillows
I got an email from 'Paul Scott' (paul.scott606@googlemail.com) this morning as well.  The same story as posted many times below.  Scam, scam, scam!  Thank you to everyone for posting the info - glad I Google'd the email addy - something just wasn't sitting right!  I hope others do the same...  I also forwarded the email to UNDP to let them know they are being referenced in this scam...

I'd be particularly cautious when receiving any emails requesting to send money to your account and take a property off the market prior to seeing it...it sends out a red flag...do not give out personal info to these dweebs...these people must think the majority of people have numb nuts for brains.  These emails tend to be generated from the uk.   I too have received such requests that I ignore.

Profile picture for araehl
I too was suspicious about the email I got for the same thing.  All I had to do was google the name Andy Bishop and UNDP and here I ended up in this Q&A.  Criminals aren't very bright.  The poor grammar, spelling, and lack of capitalization show that.  Thanks all.

Profile picture for dougc4
The day my house was shown for sale on Zillow, Andy Bishop emailed me for more info. Turns out he pretends to be moving from Scotland to Denver. Essentially the same email other people received. Not sure what the scam is - apparently we deposit the $1000 check to take our house off the market, and he asks for us to send it back to him from our own funds and bank account? When his check bounces several weeks later, we are out the amount of the check we sent back?His email:
Hi doug,
Thanks for getting back to me. I am highly interested in buying your home. I would be in the states by the the end of July, but my company can provide me with temporary accommodation when i am around, so we can conclude transactions,before the end of August. Would this work for you? Let me tell you more about myself.
I work with the United nations development program(UNDP).I have been working there for 5 years.I just got a transfer that would be bringing me down to colorado in the states. My transfer would be for a period between 6-10 years, so i figured it would be better to buy a house instead of renting it. I am planning to sell my house here before i move to the united states.
I am married with no kid. I and my Wife actually got married last year. My Full name is Andrew Bishop and  my Wife's name is June Katherine Bishop .she is a school teacher,I am 39 years old and my wife is 35.Our current house address is 55d Rose Street, EH2 2NH Edinburgh Scotland.
I would be happy to send you a non refundable deposit of $1000 so that you can secure the place for me till i get there.My company office in the states would be responsible for the payment.I can tell them to deduct $1000 from my travel allowance and send to you.This is to serve as a non refundable deposit so that you would know i am serious about buying.I would sign the contract agreement and pay up the agreed amount,i would also like to know your final price on the property so that i can forward it to my company and if you could send me more details and pictures of the house if possible
I have never been to Colorado, but i know it is a beautiful place,me and my wife are really looking forward to relocating, and we wont mind to make it permanent, We are relocating because my company assigned me there, and we want too,before we decided on Colorado we had researched on it and we know its a great place, so we don't have any doubts about the area, and we are hoping to buy as soon as possible, and we can work with  you on this, to meet your time frame, as for the payment we would be paying cash.
Please send me your full name and address so that i can forward it to my company and the deposit can get to you soon.Are there any other details you think i need to know about the Place?Please get back to me.
Thanks a lot.

Regards
Andy Bishop
+447031564820

Profile picture for dmpelegrina
I got the same email from Andrew (Andy) Bishop this morning. I had a feeling it was a scam with the extra info about his wife, their age and their jobs (and how many kids they have). I wouldn't need this info unless you were renting my house.

Thanks for posting this warning, it helped me to only waste 15 minutes of my day instead of a few hours. :o)

Profile picture for lazybeag
We got the same email but from an Andrew (Andy) Bishop of Edinburgh, Scotland.  Almost the same exact email as posted by zoeyattitude below.  I Googled his name but didn't get anything and then finally Googled his phone number and found this posting. 

Profile picture for MIago23
Thank you so much to whoever posted this. I just recieved the same e-mail this morning from a man named Paul Scott. I did a google search for his name and this Q&A came up. Good thing I didn't give him any information.

Profile picture for SouthHero205
Thank you for your warning.  I received the same email today, and fortunately did a Google search to see if "Paul.Scott606" lived in my home town before responding.  I sent a vague reply to see what response it would generate, and received the same request to take my house off the market.

Thanks too to sdanielj for the link to the complaint site.  I'm going there next, then on to Google mail.

Now the person from the UN is man named Brian Doswell with a yahoo email account. To read more about the latest version of the scam and a letter that was sent take a look here. Protect yourself and keep posting info to help other users on the board stay safe.

Profile picture for sdanielj
Thank you for posting this. I the exact request from paul.scott606@googlemail.com.

If you haven't already done so you should file out a internet complaint form at https://complaint.ic3.gov/ctf.aspx 

Profile picture for sdanielj
Thank you!!! They tried to scam me too.

Profile picture for zoeyattitude
Tried to get us too.  This time was named Paul Scott.  Is there any way Zillow can put up an alert or send out a notice?  I'm afraid a lot of people might fall for this.  I almost did until he called Texas a city.  :)   I also notified the UN by sending to their scam alert e-mail address.
From:
To: Paul Scott mailto:paul.scott606@googlemail.com
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2009 7:28 PM
Subject:http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/447031944820/2
Please don't contact me again - you are wasting my time!

----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Scott mailto:paul.scott606@googlemail.com
To:
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:54 AM
Subject:
thanks for getting back to me, yes i am very aware of the property, i would not be making an offer for it if i was not sure,of what i was purchasing, i have seen the pictures on zillow, and i liked your home,I am highly interested in buying your home. I would be in the states before the end of July,my company can provide me with temporary accommodation, so we can conclude transactions,before the ending of August. Would this work for you?
Let me tell you more about myself.
I work with the United nations development program(UN DP).I have been working there for 5 years.
I am married with no children. I and my Wife actually got married last year. My Full name is Paul David Scott and my Wife's name is Sandra Judith Stevens,She is a School teacher,I am 39 years old and my Wife is 34.Our current house address is 34 Rose Street, EH2 2NH Edinburgh Scotland.
I would be happy to send you a non refundable deposit of $1000 so that you can secure the place for me till i get there.My company office in the states would be responsible for the payment.I can tell them to deduct $1000 from my travel allowance and send to you.This is to serve as a non refundable deposit/Good faith deposit, so that you would know i am serious about buying.
I would sign the contract agreement and pay up the agreed amount,when i see the property for myself and it meets our needs.
We have never been to Texas, but we know it is a beautiful city,me and my Wife are really looking forward to relocating,and we are hoping to buy as soon as possible, also we can work with  you on this, to meet your time frame.
As for the payment we would be paying cash.Please send me your full name and address so that i can forward it to my company and the deposit can get to you soon.Are there any other details you think i need to know about the Place?Please get back to me.
hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks a lot.

Regards
Paul Scott
+447031564820

Profile picture for kumkwatts
Tried to hit us too, with the $1000 deposit and just married... etc.  Wow this is heart breaking but I'm sure glad you put this note up.  Thanks.
Do you know what she is trying to get out of this?

Profile picture for fornebu
Wow!  I just got caught up in this scam also.  She is very good with answering emails and making things sound legit...except from some English grammer mistakes.

Same story as everyone else.

Thanks for the info.

Profile picture for udoubleu
Did some research on the phone number "Sandra" provided.  Looks like this scammer has been doing this since 2008 under many names/email addresses.

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/447031944820/3#prgoURInU7ABNxAjL04Zr6g

Zillow sellers beware!

Looks like this can be reported to the FBI:

http://www.fbi.gov/cyberinvest/escams.htm

Profile picture for Ellimae
Have run into the same scam on Zillow with Sandra Mary Stevens wanting to buy my house in Georgia. Sent very lengthy emails asking me to take the property off the market and she would send $1000 deposit.

Profile picture for udoubleu
I was contacted as well. Stay away from Sandra Stevens!

Profile picture for SJStockton
The same person also contacted me with the relocating from Scotland line.  I did a little research on the email and saw that is was registered in Alpharetta.  Asked them about this and have yet to hear back.  Beware....

Thanks for adding this warning. 

Profile picture for rcailloux
I also added a discussion on Zillow under the title "Beware 'Nigerian' scam.'

Profile picture for rcailloux
The same person (Sandra Steven) contacted me about buying my house with cash.  She gave me all kinds of personal information about where she works (the UN in Edinburgh), etc. She started to tell me that she would send me a check for $1000 to hold the house from her moving expenses.  Once I told her that I would require a lawyer to handle the transaction, "she" never contacted me again.

Unfortunately, this person has done their research.  The real Sandra Stevens DOES work for the UN- so initial internet searches made me think this could be for real.  But now I know- too good to be true.  Zillow users BEWARE!!

1. 1
  2. 2