SCAM??

HELP???!!!

I found the same house on your site, also on craig's list at $500 rent... here is the link to the house on your site. http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1225-14th-Ave-Green-Bay-WI-54304/60804453_zpid/

My situation: So I was browsing craiglist and came upon this nice little yellow house. I am REALLY interested but sensed red flags when contacting the owner. Supposedly, this "mrs. erickson" is a doctor in the UNICEF organization and is currently residing in Largos, Nigeria (so i have now way of contacting her other than electronic). She sends suspicious emails to me and sends them after long periods of waits. Her number can't be contacted so I have only contacted her through electronic. She says she doesn't have an agent in charge of the place and we won't be able to be shown around but we can drive by and look from the outside. After I emailed her about my interest and some little info of myself, she quickly "approved" us to live in this house. She says we can send her the $500 rent + $500 deposit and she will send us the keys and papers. SCAM or WHAT??? Since this house is also under this site, PLEASE help me understand if this is REAL or NOT?

-shatter

May 06 2012 - Staten Island

SCAM!!!  I see this one all the time.  Don't send money and stop talking to her.

Thanks so much! I'll check it out :D

In most states, the owner information is public record. You could try the local registrar of deeds in Green Bay to see if they have the current owner name and contact info.

WELL, in this case, is there anyway I can see who actually owns the place? Because it is actually vacant and I am interested...

AW man! I knew it was too good to be true, I kept hoping somewhere in my heart that this was real :P Urgh, can't believe there are people like this...

THANKS SO MUCH!!

Let me join the others in emphasizing that this is a SCAM ....so....run in the other direction and don't look back..............

you can also report it online to Craigslist - with the ID number of the property -  and they will remove it quickly.

In these scams, the so called "owners" are always out of the area........may have sob stories (I know of one story where they claimed to be disabled, so they couldn't get out and show the house!)....they tell you to drive by, or look in the windows when they know it's a vacant unit...........they use legitimate photos they cut and paste from real listings.................and then they make the price so low, they get huge responses.....

Never, ever send money via Western Union to a stranger ..........make sure you meet any owner and get a tour of the home........and, finally, if it sounds too good to be true .........it isn't true!!

Profile picture for blub blub blub

Scam, scam, scam!!!!

This scam also is done wih the owner being in London.

No one would try to rent their home from out of the country by email.  If you are not able to view the property, it should set off a red flag.

Also, payment by mail before you receive the keys should be a sign that this is a scam as well.

NEVER send money and expect to get keys in return. 

Link to FAQ on scams.