Profile picture for Nayna Bawa

Scam Alert!!!

Hello Fellow Realtors.  I wanted to post this to everyone who may have received something similar.  I just recently received an offer from someone with a 324 area code to help the person buy property.  I wanted to let you know that this area code is out of Ghana, Africa which is known to be a high risk area for scams.  Please be careful and let me know if you have had similar experiences.

• September 17 2011 - Somerset
  • 1

And ALWAYS make sure you Google area codes. You might think you're calling some part of the USA until you get the bill for an overseas call.

Right now there are serious issues with fake rental listings that are being posted on postlets.com. The owner always seems to be living in London and will forward the keys to you when you send them a check. Often they will steal photos and addresses from legitimate listings but offer a price half of the real price to entice people.

Profile picture for Nayna Bawa

Good advice.  That is exactly what I did.  I googled this person's area code to see what more I could find out about this "investor".  Please be on the look out.  I just received his request a few minutes back. 

Profile picture for Nayna Bawa

Has anyone else had any questionable experiences?

I am so glad that you reported this and checked it out before you got into the scam. There are so many of these going around. It's scary out there not really knowing who you are doing business with until it has gone down the road a ways.

Profile picture for Nayna Bawa
Its probably happening so much because these people are not being prosecuted.  If they are out of the country, then international laws prevail.  If they are within the country, it is probably through some alias that is being used.  So hard to track, and so much harder to get them caught.  We really do need to band together - I try to contact the FBI whenever possible to see if they can chase these faceless attackers!

Profile picture for TopNJAgent
Very helpful - thank you for sharing and the reminder to google the area code...good idea!