Profile picture for johnglitsos

Scam artist is renting a home that they do not own - what do I do?

I contacted someone renting a home in North Scottsdale.  Their response seemed fishy, and sure enough, they do not own the home.  They have invited me to walk the property, look in the windows, etc.  But will send me the keys to look inside only after I close the deal.  They say they are in London.  Total BS.

I want to contact the authorities.  Who do I report this to?
  • November 13 2012 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for Nikki J
Hi "Johnglitsos,"

Thanks for contacting us! I am going to contact you directly regarding this scam so we can remove it immediately, as we take this issue very seriously.

Nicole Johnson

Profile picture for DaphneJewell

You need to contact the local police but also the admininstrators to whichever website you found the property on.

To report it to Zillow so they will both remove it and block the ISP, open the home details page and click on "report problem with listing" (near the contact info).  One of the choices will be "report rental scam".

Here's a link to the FAQ on scams and internet fraud

I would call local police.