Scam artist out there.

For over two months I have been strung along by a potential buyer in the UK, at least that where he said he was from.   I felt it wasn't all kosher but he gave me everything I asked for and more, ie passport, signed contract, telling me an inspector would come on a specific day, until the very last.  His game is to send a check (a third party refund he said) for over the earnest amount and ask me to wire him the extra money to pay for the expenses of the inspector.  I played along to see what the scam would be (no I didn't send him money) but it would be great if zillow would be an alert out there about this type of scam. He didn't ask for account numbers.  Thank you.
  • November 18 2010 - Topeka
  • 0

Whoa, that is no good.  Glad you were wise enough to realize what was taking place and didn't give him any money!  Thanks for the warning.

Zillow does have an alert about scams.

You can find it here.

John:  I am on the Topeka Area Association of REALTORS® in Topeka and we just talked today about the problem you described.  Hackers are hacking into Craigslist, scrapping data and posting properties for rent here too at a ridiculous amoutn. then ripping people off just as you stated.  I say, stay off Craigslist for all real estate.  We even talked about watermarking our listings but figured you would have to watermark across the entire picture so someone could not crop it.

Brian:  Your situation is exactly what I encounter with a Dr wanting to buy a 4bd with a pool in the 450K price range.  I did a google search on the good dr and found her business address in the UK BUT after talking to the title and learning about these type of scams, I contacted the Attorney General's office with the information I had gathered.  They told me to stop email communication (that was their only form of communication too)  There point was:  a true buyer would call you OR continue contacting you!!

My final comment:  Brian, you should have been working with an REALTOR® these are the type of things we are educated in and I am not surprised by your experience.  Best wishes.

John,
When you hit reply, in the Good Neighbor Policy, it says:

Spam, advertising, or self-promotional content is not allowed in Zillow Advice

Self-Promotional = Your contact information.

Profile picture for Dunes....
Thank-you

......

Profile picture for Dunes....
Ya mean like the kind of indiot that spent the last 20 minutes digging up Questions from 2007?
Link...Link...Link...Link...Link...Link..Link

Sorry you Zillow Staff Kids but John says yer wrong

John,

If you want to post in Zillow forums, you have to abide by Zillow rules.
We reserve the right to edit/delete anything we deem necessary for us to do so (Because it's our site).  There are plenty of other forums out there.