Profile picture for WoodyWW

Security issues with French doors?

I'm making an offer on  a house with "French doors" that lead from the DR to the backyard/patio. They're really nice, & my "buyer's agent" says they're Anderson doors with a really high quality brass lock-set. It has a key lock on the outside, &  a twist latch inside.  (sorry, I don't know all the correct terms).  The  agent says it would be very difficult to replace the knob latch inside with another  key lock, & after looking at the  Anderson site, it make sense. 

The  agent says it's not a big deal, & to get an alarm system, but these doors just seem so easy to break into. My idea is to get outdoor lights on the back of the house. BTW, this is an "in-town", residential neighborhood in a fairly nice town in Mass., but not like a $1million dollar area. TIA for any feedback or advice!

July 12 2008 - US

Profile picture for grannygown

I had french doors installed on the rear of my home 9 years ago.  I also live in a residential neighborhood in a small town in Florida.  I also had ADT Security installed on the house, small two bedroom, and have had no trouble.  I love my french doors..I have regular locks on both doors, keyed on the outside and slide locks between the two doors that slide into the top over the doors and into the floor...

Profile picture for phoebeshouse

I have the same doors on my new house I bought and the easiest thing for the burgler to do is just break the glass and unlock the door.

I bought a new deadbolt that is keyed inside and out so it might slow them down some but they can just step through the door after breaking the glass.

I actually always suggest the lever type deadbolts on the inside, which it sounds like you have.  An alarm system and motion lights are a great deterrent to a break in.  I suggest the lever type because if you need to exit the house in an emergency, i.e. a fire, it's much easier to unlock a lever type and get out.  The double cylinder type, key inside and out, are no longer code on new homes. 

I forgot to add that it is fairly easy for someone to break the glass and unlock the door, but, it is also easy to kick in a door or break a window. 

Profile picture for la457

Those double key deadbolts scare me a lot!  I don't think they are really any extra protection.  And like Browntree said, what if there is a fire.  How much time do you have to fumble around for a key to get OUT of your house?

Locks keep honest people honest.

Put a standard deabolt on the door so you can unlock it from the inside.  This will be an easy retrofit to your existing doors. Get a security system and actually use it.  I suggest the keyfobs that go on your key ring.   I had mine set up with a blinking red light in my garage so I could see if I turned it on as I left. 

after all .... if someone really wants in your house a dead bolt isnt going to stop them.  as some mentioned  the thief will just come through the glass.

Profile picture for WoodyWW

And: An alarm system and motion lights are a great deterrent to a break in.

Thanks to all for the good advice. I'm wondering--are motion lights better than lights that are on all night? (photo-electric?--so they come on when it gets dark). The reason I'm concerned--this area is more "urban" than my current surburban yuppie paradise (i.e., for the people who own $1.3 mil. McMansions, not cra**y little "capes on slabs" like mine).

But this could all be moot, as I just put in an offer on the House/w french doors today, & have no idea what will happen with the offer. (Is it just me, or does buying/selling real estate make others stressed out & almost ill as well?).

lol nope ... I get the same way.    There is always a better home that is a better price just take a deep breath and keep looking if it doesnt happen.   

GL

How do you replace electrical wiring in a home? Costs?
Latest reply by user7705784
June 12 | 21 answers
Does putting a fence on your property, increase the value?
Profile picture for Shannon Biszantz
Latest reply by Shannon Biszantz
June 05 | 13 answers
Clogged Drain solutions....DIY-using softdrinks???
Profile picture for warchildbosnia
Latest reply by warchildbosnia
May 30 | 25 answers
Cost of Building A Garage
Profile picture for Robert Adams
Latest reply by Robert Adams
May 15 | 5 answers
Where is the best place to buy major appliances?
Profile picture for BungalowMo
Latest reply by BungalowMo
April 30 | 38 answers