Profile picture for TakitaSCox

Seeking housing in Alachu County?

It is very hard to find landlords that will accept the program and I have been searching. I'm seeking a 4 or 5 bedroom in the Gainesville Florida area. Please don't judge me before meeting my family. Not every Section 8 candidate is a horror story.

• July 07 2014 - Gainesville
  • 0

I'm sorry to hear you are having problems finding a rental.  There are not many section 8 eligible properties advertised on Zillow, but sometimes you can find one using the key word search feature.   Landlords who have taken time to qualify, tend to advertise on the section 8 sites such as gosection8.com

In areas with a tight rental market, it is hard to find section 8 housing for many reasons.   In order for a landlord to rent to a section 8 tenant, they must take time to get an inspection from the housing department plus charge rent that the housing department considers "fair market".   Unfortunately in many communities, the "fair market" rent determined by the  housing department is considerably lower than real fair market rent with non-section 8 tenants.      As a consequence, a landlord's decision to not rent to section 8 is not "judging your family", it is simply an economic decision.

I wish you the best.