Profile picture for RosalynnRobinson

Seller won't lower pricein St. Louis County

So I want to purchase  a home listed for 179,000 in St. Louis County.  Offer 167,000; seller came back with 177,000, I offered 170,000 waiting to hear back. and thinking about walking away. The home as been on the market for 45 days, it 1500 sq ft, 3 beds 2 bath partially finished basement, 1 car garage which is a downside for me, older bathrooms that I will need to update.  I'm not happy with this seller.  My weekend is stressed now.  Any suggestions?

August 16 - Saint Louis

The seller is the owner of the house and can ignore, reject or counter any offer as long as he wants. It doesn't matter to the seller if you are unhappy. The seller can have the house on the market as long he wishes. He wants the most amount he can get for the house. Did you talk to your agent?

My first question would be for how much are you pre-approved. Is the house in your price range? Did you check the comparables to underline the offer you made. In many areas in the country we have been back to a sellers market. If you are unhappy move on to the next home.

Annett T. Block
Florida Connects Inc. 

August 17
I'm with High Desert Agent, Rosalynn. We can't control other people, and my advice to home buyers is: pick on houses that you can actually buy.

With that in mind, I suggest that you consider whether there's a better house you can buy for $177,000, because if you can, then . . . well, you should buy it! If not, well, maybe, just maybe, you should cave in to this seller and make this cave your own.

August 16
As seller has no obligation to negotiate.    So, suggestion is to move on and find something that you love and meets your price expectations.

In your offer are you making it as clean as possible, no requests for help with closing costs or other concessions?  If you are asking for closing costs or other concessions the seller's bottom line may be lower than the price you are offering.

August 16
If it were me I'd start looking for another property - If you're unhappy with this seller now just think how it's going to be once you're under contract for 30-45 days.

August 16