Sellers or Buyers that are not happy with there agent

WHY are you not happy with your Realtor? and what are you looking in a Realtor that would make you happy?
  • July 26 2013 - Harbor Beach
  • 0

I'll give you one that really urkes me about my real estate agent (now but he wasn't that way at the start) and others I interviewed. They want your house to look like a HGTV make over. 

Now I know that is fantastic and it certainly helps selling a house. But if I could afford $30k for a new kitchen in a market that has houses sitting on the market for 6-12 months selling for less than what you bought them for 10 years ago--- why would I move?

My agent tells me all the things I am doing wrong (I have spent months keeping the place immaculate and do small upgrades as I can) and how if I could only put in a few more thousand here and there I could sell the place (and he can make his money).

Reality is the house had dropped in price $10k over a year, and I have put in $10k in improvements (total) and there has been 8 visitors with over 4k+ views. Oddly, when I threatened to send a termination letter 4 people showed up to the house. He also got very upset at me that I was making him loose money on his investment in marketing and shouldn't he have a few weekends with his family and deal with his other customers?

I didn't appreciate the guilt trip, but at least that was the first time I saw him really push to sell anything in the eight months working together.

I think real estate agents are playing a numbers game. They put out a small risk of marketing $ like the stock market and then sit back to see if they make profit. Why not tell the seller to spend as much money as possible-- it helps their profit margin and costs them nothing. 

Now you agents may disagree, but does it matter if that is all your clients think you do because you give them no reason to think otherwise? My job is just to get eyes on the internet and your job is to sell your house then pay me?-- crappy philosophy. Your job is to sell my house with good advice, smart cost efficient solutions to make it more marketable, and get people into the home to see first hand--- not get people to look online. Geesh, if I was able to set up MLSs for my own house and put them on ALL the sites, I would just do it myself (and yes, I do know you can do it on zillow, but not others).

But most of all--- an agent has to make their client KNOW they are out there everyday on their house talking to other agents and getting the sales pitches out there. Because, I don't care about the other house you are pushing, I want to feel like you have one house that your entire year's pay is riding on getting sold: mine. When I call, I want Tom Cruise from Jerry McGuire screaming "Show me the money."

It is how sales works in other industries.

Profile picture for emilikins
Why we weren't happy with our first realtor:

1) Overpriced our listing. Yes, we should've fought harder for a lower price, but we also thought, "Hey, she's the 'expert', right?" And now we are 5 months in with a stale house.

2) Did not give advice or stay on top of the market. When it was clear in the feedback that we were overpriced, we had to push for a drop (and any subsequent drops). We asked for a CMA before the price change to try to hit the price right and not just randomly reduce. She refused to do that. Whenever we asked what we should do, she'd just say she'd do whatever we wanted. It's not about want, it's about need. 

3) She did not keep her cellphone on her, so she could be difficult to get a hold of. This was distressing when buyers showed up at our door wondering if our house was still for sale, because it was listed as inactive.

4) Seemed to think she just had to list the house and wait for someone to come and get it.

New agent:

1) Communication is worse than the first one, and this is after we stressed how frustrated we were with the previous agent. He's always busy and in meetings and we're passed off to his assistant, who now avoids us because we call her out on big mistakes, like reducing our lot size and square footage and leaving typos in the description and not fixing them. We have no idea what is going on and just get the usual "busy behind the scenes" line we'd get from the previous agent.

As another agent, I believe that communication is key.  This holds true in all industries, but especially those in which you're developing relationships.

We're not salespeople, we're consultants.  As consultants, each of our clients need to feel as they're our only client.  This is how we differentiate our services, as the homes are going to be there regardless of which realtor that is being worked with.

That's just my 2 cents.

Personally, the only time I have been unhappy with my REA was when it became apparent that "closing the deal" had taken precedence over what I wanted. It was a long, horrendous escrow (spec builder), and it became apparent that my REA was trying to "keep the deal alive" instead of representing my interests to the builder's REA. Very disappointed.

For the vast majority of issues I see posted on Zillow, I'll echo Dune's comments and say that most seem to be rooted in lack of communication. Consumers don't communicate their expectations (until after they're po'd), REAs don't communicate their expectations of the consumer (which I believe the REA has a right to).

The one behavior/trait I avoid like the plague is the "just listen to me and you'll be fine" REA. Advise me. Educate me. Point me to resources. But, it's my dance...so follow my lead. (And, yes, I make sure any REA I engage is aware of this position).

I'm sorry to hear about your poor experience and it really bothers me that this one agent and others like him contribute to the negative stereotype of all realtors. A few weeks back someone referred to realtors as buzzards without feathers. Funny but sadly sometimes true.
  Communication is key to a happy client and smooth sale. In the beginning I always ask my client how he or she would like to be contacted and how often.  
 You entered into a contract with this agent and it takes 2 people to make a contract valid and if he is not living up to his end of the deal why not contact his broker and tell them you are ready to take your listing off their agency and rip up the contract. Do have the evidence to back up as to why. 
 This agent is working for you and when the house sells he will be paid well for it. Maybe he needs to be reminded of that. 
 It is your house and you can decide to withdraw and not sell then relist it tomorrow with someone else.
 Good luck   

I think this is simple. I was happy with my agent at first. He gave me options, and seemed to have a real fire to get my place sold. But I will tell you how it has soured.
1. He is not easy to get in touch with. When you do contact him, he makes me feel as if whatever project he is working on is more important than me.

2. His philosophy is that his job is to get the house on the internet and traffic to the internet to shop. It is not. His job is to get people in my house to potentially buy.

3. He overrides my decisions. My house is a three bedroom with a finished attic, a bassinet room that could be turned into a bedroom and a finished basement that has a kitchen and its own bathroom. He assured me that we should say it is a 5 bed room. It is not. The people that come are looking for 5 bedrooms and normally have a family that needs it. After a month of arguing he dropped it to 4 bedrooms. I gave up.

4. He takes horrible pics, even when we had good pics to share. I group sourced my friends and FB buddies and critiqued the photos. I told him what photos to change and he decided to argue he didn't like the ones I wanted.

5. His only response to why my house sells is that everyone ele's house is better and cheaper. I have sunk over $10k in the past year on mostly his advice, dumped most of my furniture, hidden my life from my own home for six months and all I get is "well people want move in ready." I have a new roof, new AC, all the walls are recently painted, new carpet, new pergo, new kitchen tile, refurbished deck. New screens, new....A LOT OF STUFF. It is a 100 year old 2,800 sqft home with tons of updates selling for $118k. I am getting 1 or 2 visits a month if I am lucky. I take his advice and I get that it is my fault.

6. After the visits from the potential buyer, I don't get feed back unless I hunt him down. Not even a "hey, they didn't tell me anything."

7. But most of all I get the feeling that I went from starting quarterback to the guy on the team they are looking to trade. He doesn't believe in my home or in me. I didn't make his profit in six months so I am not a priority. And that makes my entire relationship with him make me feel like I am just a commodity.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
I'll elaborate ;)

IMO this is an excellent question for an Agent to ask and a discussion/topic every real RE Professional should be interested in and should pay very very close attention to..

In this Forum and Trulia literally thousands of clients have expressed displeasure with their Agent/Agency, the Service provided ect. and it usually is centered around Communication

Felt deceived, forgotten about, doesn't respond, wasn't made clear, signed because they said or I thought they said or or or

Agents/Agencies are SELLING Services and it is their responsibility to PROVIDE Services..difficult to do if Communication is not the top priority..
I've seen Agents post they are to busy, shouldn't have to, they are too needy, yadda yadda..
Hello...... you're selling and providing services, the customers expectations imo are far more important to success than your expectations are
Communicate..over communicate..communicate and then communicate again. You're the Professional and you're the one selling guidance and assistance..Provide it, provide what you sell
Communication isn't a nuisance or chore it's maybe the most important part of the job
It's a problem solver tool not a problem

Further elaboration gladly provided upon request ;)

Why am i asking this, because as a Realtor some times i like to remind my self what my clients expect from me and what i should improve on.

First, we need to establish what you are looking for and your expectations of a Realtor. Second, before hiring a Realtor sit down with him or her and have an open and frank discussion about what you want and how you feel your transaction should go. Sometimes buyers and sellers are not aware of a law that will not let the Realtor do what they want him or her to do.

Profile picture for Rebecca Marvel
It's THEIR not THERE by the way.  Please elaborate.