Sellers with Septics: Don't Pump your Dump!

SELLERS WITH SEPTIC SYSTEMS: Do not pump your septic before you put your home on the market.  The buyer's septic inspector WILL NOT be able to get accurate readings of the tank because the water levels will be too low. 

A LAST MINUTE SEPTIC PUMP BY A SELLER  IS A RED FLAG TO THE BUYER.  If you have maintained the system properly, there is no need to take this last minute measure. 

This is the one time my advise to anyone selling a home will be to "Hold onto your c**p! Let the inspector do his job (and God bless him for doing it). 

If you are a buyer of a home with a septic system, you will want to get it inspected.   Your agent should have experience working with a few different and very well qualified inspectors.  Up here, in northern NJ, there are several very reputable companies who really know their.......

Just give me a shout out and I will be happy to provide those references.

Annmarie Cristiani
Sales Associate
[Promotion and contact information removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy.]

• March 04 2013 - Oakland

Profile picture for Outer Banks N C
This is a regional thing so don't make it sound like this is true everywhere, it is not! Here we have to pump the tank if you want it inspected. It has to be empty so they can see in it - yuck. Up where you are they look for soggy ground to indicate a problem. Here we have sand and you will never see puddling from a septic so they open them up and look inside.

Annmarie, I think your article is very informative!!  I will definitley keep this piece in mind when I come across a septic system. :-)

I was referring to NJ only.   Inspectors in this area need the water levels in the tank to be at a certain height in order for their tests to read accurately. By the time we see soggy soil, it is usually indicative of a larger problem.