Selling Family Owned Rental Property to Relatives

My grandmother offered to sell one of her rental property's to me at below market rate; there are three units on the property. This would be an owner- financed sale and I hope to live in one of the units. My grandmother just wants what she is already collecting from the units - which would basically go towards the principle until she passes (hopefully never), then at which time the money would go into a trust. Will my grandmother incur any unwanted taxes like Capital Gains or Gift? From what I understand, if this were just one home that I was going to live in, none of these taxes are issues; but the fact that there are rental units involved, now I'm not sure...

July 18 2013 - Alameda

You really need to see at least a CPA if not a tax attorney there are all kinds of issues in play that might not be able to be undone once you complete the transaction.  An hour spent with a tax proffesional could save you and your grandmother a lot of headache later.  Good luck owning realestae is usually a good idea.

Thank you so much Troy, that's exactly what we are going to do!

Best,
Matt

Latest reply by user6204069

1. 456 Centre Ct, Alameda, CA Home For Sale
    456 Centre Ct, Alameda, CA 94502

2. 3204 Fir Ave, Alameda, CA Home For Sale
    3204 Fir Ave, Alameda, CA 94502

3. 2551 E 11th St, Oakland, CA Home For Sale
    2551 E 11th St, Oakland, CA 94601