Profile picture for Mike Figura

Selling in the Fall and Winter

Around this time of year, I have a lot of people ask me whether or not they should put their home on the market in the fall/winter or wait until the spring.  It is true that there are more home buyers looking in the spring compared to winter, but since so many people take their homes off the market in the winter, the supply is greatly diminished and the supply/demand ratio stays the same or even favors sellers in the winter time.  Many homes that I have had trouble selling in the spring and summer have sold in winter because the number of homes for buyers to look at dwindles.  Thus, the advice is don't wait.  In Asheville, we have four good seasons to sell in, so just list your home when you are ready.  If you'd like more information, feel free to contact me.
  • September 14 2013 - Asheville

Love that you posted this Mike 

Profile picture for goudiz
Hi Mike, good post. My cousin is selling his home in NC soon. The terms with the listing agent show a 6 month contract + a 3 month post contract clause that gives the agent the commission if the house is sold in that 3 month period. Is it reasonable to ask the agent to reduce these amounts, say 4 month contract with 30 day post contract clause?

Is is reasonable to ask to reduce the commission to 4-5% vs 6%? He doesn't want to offend the agent but I don't think he should be fleeced either.

Finally, there is a seller's remorse clause that requires him to cough up the entire commission if a buyer is found and he no longer wishes to sell. I have seen buyer's remorse clauses for cars but this seems outrageous. Sure, the agent does not want to do all the work only to have the seller change his fickle mind at the last minute, but selling a home is a life event and many factors can change during the contract period (hence my above question about a shorter term). Any break on this remorse clause?

Appreciate it!
  • April 14