Profile picture for jonilo

Selling on holiday weekend

Hey all!

Just listed my house for sale the day before Thanksgiving. Lousy timing I know! But we put in a contingency offer on another home a week and a half ago so now we are in the position of selling our first home under the gun.

Just wondering about other's experiences with homes newly on the market just before a holiday. Any calls? Any showings? My phone has remained completely silent.

Also: how soon should I change over my decor from fall to Christmas when my home is on public view?

I appreciate your feedback!

Joni in Rockford Illinois (my house is MLS 97969)
  • November 25 2007 - US
  • 0

change over now jon..and I had a very busy showing schedule this weekend. Good Luck to you!

Profile picture for Mtmozart
Jonilo, I've been calling realtors for days and some still haven't return my calls. One pawned me off on her "associate" who in turn suggested "her assistant" could help me--who then was "out of town" so the seller showed me the house. Apparently holiday weekends are not good times to be showing OR looking.

Don't worry about the time of year, I'm a buyer and I am ignoring all the "conventional wisdom". I sold my last house just after Christmas.

Profile picture for rockinblu
Joni

Next time why don't you copy and paste the web address of your mls listing for those of us that are too lazy to go through all the log in bs?

Do you have a listing on Zilllow?

farmdog, that's interesting to me, it's not the first time that I've heard that, people seem to be having problems booking showings, either agents are not available or the home owners are not making the homes available for showings, do you think it is just because of the holiday weekend?

Profile picture for rockinblu
farmd0g

How did the owners do showing? Were you uncomfortable about it at all?

Sorry Joni, I don't mean to hijack.

Hi jonilo

your agent should be able to advise you on historical market activity in your area.

Around here the holidays are historically the slowest time of the year (even in good super active years)
but the good news is that buyers buy during this time of year and typically those who are looking are serious buyers who go into contract

good luck with your sale

Profile picture for jonilo
Per request, here is the link to my realtor's listing for my home:

http://www.gambinorealtors.com/residential/details.cfm?qMLSNumber=97969

Yes, I do have a listing and an ad on zillow. Here is the link to that :

zillow.com/HomeDetails.htm?zprop=5535239

I'll take any helpful feedback. Thanks,

Joni

Go ahead and put up your Christmas decorations. This time of year is slow, but there have been lots of people on this site that are getting showings. Good luck.

yup, yup, so true Marci

farmd0g, I can't believe in this market, you are getting that kind "service". If I got a call from a buyer, I would not only be showing them anything they want, but buying them lunch and dinner too!

Profile picture for rockinblu
It seems clean and shows reasonably well. I will be surprised if somebody that really knows something from this forum doesn't give you some static on the fireplace being cluttered with certificates and such. Good luck.

yeah, I'm not giving advice on that stuff rock, a clean decluttered house is taking as long to sell as any other house

LOL mpal, I was just thinking the same thing. Live and let live.

yes siree Marci...enough is enough :)

Profile picture for rockinblu
mpal

After complaining about not having a direct link, she obliged. I felt I was compelled to post something in the form of a critique. Joni, I really no nuthin.

that's cool rockin..i wasn't suggesting that you said or did anything wrong and you know plenty rockin :)

I agree with you that someone will come on and give some static about the fireplace, etc..

oh rock, you know lots. When I look at the MLS in my area and the only things selling are REOs priced so low, no homeowner can compete with it, I get a bit cynical.

as do I Marci, I just don't feel like putting pressure on people to make all these changes to their homes and lives and then they sit and twiddle their thumbs. Even homes that are "priced right" are sitting. There is no easy answer is all I'm saying.

Exactly. And the top agents listings are just sitting as well. Hopefully, joni's market is better than that. Elvis will be in and be able to answer that.

Profile picture for fdjj
  • fdjj
We had a open house Sunday after Thanksgiving. A total of 4 families. 2 came in and 2 drive by. One showing Tuesday before Thanksgiving. I am happy :) I am in SoCalifornia, Los Angeles County

http://www.zillow.com/Hom ... =61360421

Profile picture for ajjacktech
There may be buyers that want to get in before end of year for tax savings, can't hurt to have it on market.

me too fredand denise had showings all weekend, people are out there.

Profile picture for fdjj
  • fdjj
I feel better to know things are looking GOOD...for everyone :)

me 2!!

Profile picture for rockinblu
>>you know plenty rockin :)<<

>>oh rock, you know lots.<<

HA HA HA.

Whatever I have learned regarding real estate, I have learned from the kind and patient regulars that post here. So Joni pay attention. While there is a lot of utter nonsense, there is still a wealth of information kindly given from pros like Marci and ELV!S and even Durenda if you print it out fast enough.

Later

Thanks rock, there is now coca-cola all over my screen. LOL

Profile picture for rockinblu
Marci

LMAO I'm sorry, but it's true. She posted some great info that was very detailed. I don't always have my laptop attached to my printer. By the time I hooked the printer up, the info was gone.

Joni

Did you know that your ezad is showing up all the way down in my zip code 62034.

Profile picture for Alan May
Jonilo...

Rockford is a bit distant from my area (Chicago/Northsuburbs)... but in general this area's market "tanks" between Thanksgiving and Superbowl... there is very little activity and very few showings out there during that time... In fact, I just "cancelled" 3 of my listings for that reason... (we took them off market for the next 90 days, because there will be almost no activity, and this will allow them to come on fresh in the spring, with a reset Days-On-Market clock).

The "Good" news is, that any buyers who are out looking around the holidays, tend to be very serious buyers. There are few "looky-loos" that are out around Christmas... so if you get appointments around the holidays... be happy!

Profile picture for IloveLI
I had trouble booking showings this weekend, too. It seems all that is left is the leftovers. You home will definitely stand out at this time of year if it is priced right, prepared correctly, and accessible. Last year AND the year before I had accepted offers on listings the week before Christmas. My Mom had the buyer come to their house on Christmas eve.

Profile picture for JamieGR
It's good to hear that some people are actually out there looking. My house has been on for 2 weeks now without one showing. I figured it was due to the holidays. I'm ready for them to come look now. :)

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4