Selling the home of my deceased mother (inestate)

My mother is recently deceased and was a homeowner in Bucks County, PA.  I currently live in Las Vegas and am the only child/heir to her estate.  However, she passed without a will.  What are the steps I need to take in order to sell the home?  Do I have to probate to transfer the title to my name first? 
  • August 08 2013 - Morrisville
  • 0

Sincere condolences on your loss. 

You will need to talk to a probate lavvyer in her home state (PA) to make sure you comply with PA state laws.   Her estate (including her home) will  have to go through probate, which can take time (so will involve expenses of maintaining her home).  Someone will need to be appointed administrator of her estate. 

Here's the link to the Bucks County bar association. Call them and explain the situation. They will recommend an attorney that specializes in probate.

wetdawgs is correct. Contact a probate lawyer, the administrator of the estate will then need to contact a realtor with experience in listing these types of properties since they require knowledge on how to have the administrator sign and the proper closing documents. I have listed properties like this before and will be happy to consult with you on this for free. Very sorry to hear about your loss.

Ann McGuire
Weichert Realtors
[contact info deleted by Zillow  moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

In some cases local court may need to approve it. In all my experience the sellers relative can do it herselves.

Talk to a lawyer.