Septic Tank Cert situation

I was recently involved in a transaction where the underwriter conditioned for a septic tank cert to be ordered (home is on private water well and septic.) This ended up taking 10 days and delayed the closing. It appears to me this requirement from the underwriter was in the best interest of the buyer as septic tanks can be quite expensive to replace or repair.

My question is for anyone with experience with this situation, but mainly for selling agents:

If a house has a septic tank, do you reccomend to your buyer up front they get a septic tank cert in addition to the traditional inspection?

• February 08 2014 - US
  • 0

Yes, I write it into the offer. It's negotiable who pays for it. Should be done during inspection period.

I explain the process to the sellers that it will happen and when an offer comes in I tell the Buyer's agent to order it right away.   It is usually a 1 to 3 day process from order to completion and we lots of septic tanks around here

Hi Cameron,

I always make sure that I set my buyers and sellers expectations: it is very likely that a septic inspection and well water tests may be required by an underwriter on certain types of loans. As a listing agent, I make sure that the buyers agent is aware that these types of inspections can take quite a bit of time and recommend they verify this requirement with the lender so they can be taken care of during the initial inspection period. In my experience, both sides are appreciative of the forethought - particularly since it saves the seller from having the closing on their property delayed and it mitigates frustration on the part of the buyer. Hope this was helpful!