Profile picture for judy.robinson

Setting Value

I would like to know how we change the way properties are valued. I have a fully finished basement / w/kitchen / bath / 40 x 25 den, separate entrance. Because it is the basement, and I have a rambler, it adds little value on appraisal. Lenders only accept above ground living space, which cuts the square footage offering of my home in half. This is ridiculous -- I could put a whole family in my basement, and no one counts it toward my total square footage living space. Can someone tell me why things are appraised this way, and how do we go about changing.

September 05 2012 - Hyattsville

Judy, I totally understand your frustration. Ranchers/Ramblers are great, but the appraisal standards that dictate below grade square footage not being counted has been around for a long time.

A licensed appraiser would know best, but I believe the reason behind this distinction is that acceptable "living spaces" cannot be underground. Changing the way they consider your basement would be an industry wide change so the answer to your question is that in order to change the rule, you have to change the way people have valued properties over the course of recent history. Not an easy task.

The good news is that attractive, finished basements do add great value in the marketplace, and ultimately are listed as a line item improvement in an appraisal (like a garage, additional bathroom, etc.) In the end, the appraiser doesn't ignore the space, it just isn't calculated the same way.

I hope that helps.

Piero

Youll only know how much your home is worth IF and WHEN you sell it, not before. Dont worry about it till then...

Hi Judy, consult an appraiser.  Basements do have a value and may be added on to the price but not to livable space.

Setting Value
Profile picture for Miekeba Jones
Latest reply by Miekeba Jones
May 08 2013 | 3 answers
  • Posted by judy.robinson
  • In Pricing

1. 3450 Toledo Ter APT 722, Hyattsville, MD Home For Sale
    3450 Toledo Ter APT 722, Hyattsville, MD 20782

2. 4313 Knox Rd APT 218, College Park, MD Home For Sale
    4313 Knox Rd APT 218, College Park, MD 20740

3. 3400 Rutgers St, Adelphi, MD Home For Sale
    3400 Rutgers St, Adelphi, MD 20783

Sign in with Google