Profile picture for Deanne_OR

She wants to see it vacant

I had a potential buyer come through last night. She's interested and brought her mortgage broker with her. (I thought that was odd, but maybe they're friends?) My realtor said they were discussing payments while they were there. I'm taking it with a huge grain of salt though. This was also the FIRST house she's looked at. A lot of her interest could just be the excitement of starting to look.

I found something she said to be interesting. She wants to see my house vacant before she decides if she's interested. Not a problem since I have movers coming next week, but I don't think I've heard that one before.

October 05 2007 - US

Profile picture for lori645
Well hopefully everything will work out for you, best of luck!!!

Maybe she's hoping that once its vacant the pressure will be on you to sell at any price?

Profile picture for Mike2020
True.. Then your paying two mortgages.. bleeding cash through interest payments too..

However, I've noticed that places that are cluttered with furniture seem smaller than when you walk into a bare empty room.. Plus, homeowners sometimes hide stains under furniture.. or the walls have been dulled by UV sunlight while the frames on the wall have protected those areas from dulling.. wierd things like that..

Profile picture for lucydjacobs
I would think she is having trouble looking past your life in your home to see the "bones" of the house.

I'm able to see a house beyond it's furniture and picture my own style in it. But some people don't have that ability. If they like Asian style and see country decor, or vice versa, they can't mentally look at the flow of the home, the windows, the square footage to figure out that it's a great home for them.

I have "fashion" blindness, however, and can't see the "bones" of good tailoring in clothes on a hanger. I'm watching "What Not to Wear" a lot in hopes of one day figuring out how to look at seams and darts to figure out that the limp dinky little slip-dress on that hanger is actually a fabulously crafted designer masterpiece when you try it on!

I deal with many buyers and sellers on a regular bases and I can tell you from those experiences, nothing is wierd. People are different and everyone has a different idea about how things should work. If you can accomodate, do it. If not, politely explain why and be sure you absolutely can't comply. The strangest things sell houses sometimes and you must be flexible and open minded.

We just finished looking at homes, and I actually liked the vacant ones better. You had some idea what you were getting. Holes in walls, stains on carpets, nothing was hidden.

Some people need the staging because they have little imagination, but there are plenty of us who don't need it.

BTW, it's also possible the buyer is looking for a quick close. You can do that better (or more likely) on a vacant property.

Difference in Zestimate values
Latest reply by Pasadenan
  • Posted by marybh1
  • In Pricing
I recently went thru a Divorce in Mass. A special master was appointed by the Judge
Latest reply by user57681064
Is it a Sellers' Market in St Petersburg, FL and all Tampa Bay?
Profile picture for Frank & Rebecca Malowany
Latest reply by Frank & Rebecca Malowany
How much would a newly renovated unit be worth in 7710 n. Sheridan unit 305 new kitchen, bath, hard
Profile picture for Nicholas Ryan Rendleman
Latest reply by Nicholas Ryan Rendleman
  • Posted by Valerie Urso
  • In Pricing
What is/are the BEST and WORST MONTHS to list house for sale?
Profile picture for Kathie Godfray
Latest reply by Kathie Godfray