Profile picture for merrimanlinda

Short Sale offer rejected flat out

I found a house that I just LOVE! The house is listed as a short sale I went and viewed thehouse, put in my offer. I offered the selling price, made no demands, etc. The couple is going through a divorce. The soon to be ex wife rejected my offer flat out, no counter offer. The husband accepted it and signed off on it. The other offer was less than mine, she accepted that one. They are fighting back and forth and bringing everyone in to their business. Anyone have any advice??? I truly want this house BADLY!!!
  • July 28 2014 - San Antonio
  • 0

I'll echo what the others below have said. Find another house.

It happens.  The price was determined by the seller, but the bank has to approve the price.
Short sales can be tough.
In this case if they can't agree up front, they've done you a favor.
Move on and find another house.
You'd rather them disclose all this up front, then lead you down a path for 60-90-120 days and then have one of them decide they want to mess up the other one and in turn mess up your transaction.
If you like the house, wait until the divorce is over or it goes through the foreclosure process.

Divorce is an ugly mistress. You are in the middle. You can hope, you can wait, but odds are you have a long and likely disappointing road ahead. You can make another offer, but my guess is the wife is wrangling to keep the house somehow. 

Step back, let it shake out and maybe tell the seller's agent to keep your number if the situation changes. In the meantime, actively look for another house. It is unlikely this one will be a go.

You fell in love with a loser. At least the loser didn't lead you on. If the loser has accepted another lover, you are pining away, for no good reason. Detach and regroup. No more love at first sight. Get to know them first.

Move on.   Getting into the middle of a divorce situation is very unpleasant and it is guaranteed you can't win.

We encountered something similar, but when we went back for a relook we were met with the aggrieved spouse at the door crying with a gun in hand.    Yeah, we were convinced to withdraw our offer.

My advice is to find another house.

Profile picture for Gabilan Properties
There's more going on here than you have written. Was the other offer all cash, no contingencies and close of escrow within 10 days of banks approval of short sale?

How did your offer compare to that? I would not waste much more time on this one if I were you.