Short sale and renting

My husband and I own a house that's in negative equity.  After talking to a lawyer, a couple of realtors, and an accountant, we've decided that our best option is to attempt a short sale.  The property needs repairs to make it livable, but we don't want to sink more money into an upside down house.

We're current on our payments and want to acquire rental housing before initiating the short sale.  What can prospective landlords see about our situation when they run our credit report?  What's the best way to address this situation when talking to prospective landlords?

We understand our credit score will take a huge hit.  We do have money set aside, so affording new housing is not an issue, and we have enough money saved to offer a larger deposit.

May 25 2012 - Minneapolis

The landlord, or whoever represents them, is not going to see much of anything right now because you are current on your payments.

What I would suggest is drafting up a letter of explanation, which will be very similar to the "hardship letter" you will write for the short sale. Everyone has a story in this situation, and it helps the landlord know what is going on.

As long as the income is there to support the rent and you have a good deposit you should have no issues in my opinion. Millions of renters all across the united states are renting right now after a foreclosure, and so landlords are used to this.

P.S- try to stay current on payments throughout the short sale it will greatly help you down the road if you want to re-purchase a home.