Short sale buy to rent purchase

This is a preliminary enquiry. I have a friend who is a UK citizen and resident but who has approximately $100,000 to invest in a US property. He is looking for a maximum capital gain over 4 to 5 years. He is hoping to buy a short sale to maximize his return. I am a UK citizen but a US resident living in Bellingham. I am considering partnering with him in this venture. I have seen a couple of properties that may be a fit but I have no idea how viable the idea is and how straightforward it would be to get a mortgage etc.. 
  • July 21 2013 - Bellingham

Your best bet would be to contact a local lender to get an idea of if they will finance the type of property you're looking for. While he is on the right track trying to maximize his return, short sales are not necessarily always the best option. Many "deals" can be had by purchasing bank owned or normal market properties... one needs to just have the proper knowledge of the market to know a good deal when they see it.