Profile picture for nickgranato

Should I add a 4th Bathroom?

I have a 4 bedroom 2.5 bathroom house in Beavercreek, Ohio. I have recently finished my basement and have a perfect place for a 4th bathroom (half bath). It would cost me roughly $1,500 for materials to do all of the work. With that said, I am trying to figure out if it would be worth it to add or not from a resale view. Any opinions on this?

January 07 - Beavercreek

We now need to add a 4th bedroom in order to stay in our home. ... It doesn't qualify as a bedroom if there isn't a bathroom on the same level.

January 10
If you can do it for that amount I would go for it.  Just make sure you get permits for the improvements if required in your area.

January 08
If you can get the lower level bathroom done for $1500 labor and materials, do it. Buyers will appreciate it and it would add much more than on your appraisal.

January 08
Have a local Realtor give you an inventory of SOLDs (for the last 3 months) in and around your area on 4/2 , 4/2.5, and 4/3 homes so you can compare if they are selling for more $$. You do not want to over improve for the area. If you are going to live in the home for a while longer, then maybe adding that extra half bath at $1,500. will bring you lots of satisfaction while you are still living there. The additional bath should enable your property to sell faster, but not always for more.

January 08
Assume you are considering selling.  A lower level bath will help for a quicker sale.  May not result in a higher price however.

January 08
What else is in the basement now that you've finished it?   Study?  rec room etc?  I tend to like at least a toilet/sink on every floor, but that is my personal preference.

January 07
It's a great idea to have it finished bathroom in the basement. It is especially convenient if the basement is a walkout. It seems you could get a good return on the investment.

January 07
A basement bathroom is always a good move, especially when there is a separate entrance to the basement. The bath is percieved as a place to clean up before you enter the main house. It definetly will add to the value of your home.

January 07