Should I be concerned? Home buying and Name Change

I recently closed on my house after getting married in May; I was told to wait on the name change so that it would not delay closing. We started the process in March due to the house being built for us. The mortgage is all in my name due to my husband's credit being too low. At that time I spoke with one lender, but ultimately switched to another who was a better option for closing costs. I got married in May of this year and right before closing in June we lost financing on the house through the second lender due to our marriage license being MIA for 3 weeks which put us past the lock in date. I spoke to the first lender again, who was able to finance but listed me as a single woman. I told him I was married and asked if he needed a copy of the marriage license but he said it was best to leave everything the way it was when he first started the loan process in March. I'm now working on changing my name to my husband's last name and am worried this will negatively impact me considering the marriage license clearly shows we got married in May and closed in August.
  • September 14 2013 - Moses Lake
  • 0

Profile picture for Amanda Prather
At this point, it won't really matter, for Washington is a community property state.  Being that you are legally married, he has interest (per your marriage license) to the property. You can easily do a quick claim deed to add him to title. This shouldn't have any impact on the deed, for you're not removing yourself from it.   The lender already funded the loan and it's done.  The home belongs to you.  I have a similar situation right now with some clients on mine.  We went under contract prior to their wedding and now we are nearing closing.  The application was started as single persons, but now (after the contract and loan process had started) they are married.  It happens often so I don't believe you have anything to worry about.   If you have more questions, just talk with your lender contact.  Good luck!

We closed 2 weeks ago and my husband is currently not on the deed and neither of us are entirely worried about him being on it. The name also has not been changed on the deed as I just changed my name in the last couple days; I have not been able to make it in to change it.

Profile picture for Outer Banks N C
It's closed and done - right? You have not mislead or lied to anyone so I would proceed as noting happened. Is he on the deed? Do you want him on the deed? is the name changed on the deed? The deed is what shows ownership, the mortgage just shows whose credit gets screwed if it's not paid.