Should I be in real estate?

In the past thirty years I owned my own interior decorating business in Lynbrook.

Over the years I Did make a lot of drapes, wall upholstery, upholstered headboards, shades, bed spreads, decorative

pillows, upholstered cornice, re upholstery of sofas, dinning room seats.

What can I say I am good in what I do...

I always had a love for real estate. When I see a house I check it out to see if it was built right.

I always look for things that might be wrong with the house, and if so, how do I fix them.

Last year I got my real estate license in New York with the hope to gradually change my career into real estate.

I started working in a real estate office.

Because of the bad economy and the competition I realized that I will have to work 24/7.

This is something I can not do. I want to enjoy my life too...

Is there a formula for success that I can use...?

• March 15 2010 - Hewlett
  • 0

Try teaming up with a agent that specializes in staging, you may see some mutual benefits while you figure things out.

Whatever you do, don't give up!  It's not immediate success.  Stick to it and stay positive and eventually you will be where you want to be.  BUT no matter what, in the real estate field, work is not just 9-5.  You'll be working nights and weekends.

You have the no-steady-paycheck-need-apply attitude down pat.  You are used to working with people who are under stress.  You love houses,  You leaped just as the economy dropped out from under you (and a lot of other people) in both RE and interior decoration.

As Jamie says, RE is never worked to set hours - too frequently clients are at work then.  If you have not been in it very long, don't despair yet.  As the learning curve levels, time may get better.  I think you have to look at what you need in terms of free time and income.  Possibly give it some time, to get an idea of how much you enjoy the reality of it all.

Good luck.

If you can make it in this market you can make it in any market. Nows a perfect time to learn the ropes. Just remember don't be a secret agent do whatever you can to get your name out there. Good luck!

Profile picture for real estate mike
Use your experience to get listing presentations and win them. As Nancy stated you already have some of what it takes. Become a resource; know your local market like you know decorating. Where you immediately successful in decorating? You have to become known and trusted at what you do. I don't understand the total switch in focus. In my opinion, I'd run both businesses(with help), delegate responsibilities, and research/test what cross marketing opportunities there are in your area. best of luck, Joshua!

Look at it this way. If you make it in this market, your referral rate and market share will only explode when it gets better and will get better. I can't look at a crystal ball and say its tomorrow, but history shows that it will. Just keep at it. Consistency is key and with the skill set you have you are at a huge advantage. Don't give up!

Profile picture for My NCHomes Team
John, I've been a fulltime Broker for just under twenty years and being succesful in real estate does require a serious time commitment. Your clients have every right to expect to be able to consult with you throughout the week, though not 24 hours a day. It's up to you to decide how you want to structure your business and to clearly infor your clients right up front of what they can expect from you.

Secondly, before coming into real esate you should have done your diligence. Do you know that statisically most agnets never make it 2 years. Do you know what the average real estate agent earns per year in your service area? I don't because I haven't ever worked in your area but I do know for example that the average agent in North Carolina where I live and work earns less than $30,000 a year. I wonder how may knew this when thy got started. Real Estate is not an esy business, but it can be very rewarding, it's all up to you.

I wish you good luck.

Profile picture for Erich Young
Get involved with a large brokerage, I'm talking thousands of agents. that way you have a huge pool of agents with whom to network...it's got to be like family. Then make friends with agents. Gently show your skill set, but don't be a know-it-all. Become USEFUL, and they'll use you. You might not get paid much of anything from them. Don't sweat that. But the second time they come around and need your professional advice, get a referral of 25% if the home sells. I bet the expensive homes need the most attention...just a thought...

Profile picture for Erick Rodriguez
I would suggest buying a book about how to build your business. There are many books out there that will help you find a path on how to be successful and keep your mind open. And you will find different ideas that work for your market. You need to get your feet wet and once you'll get going nothing can stop you.

Real Estate is a tough business to break into.  Don't quit your day job.  Over time you will develope a client base and before you know it you will have a stong enough income from real estate sales to make that your primary job.  It takes time and it is tough to just dive head long into real estate since even if you make a sale in the first month it may be up to two months after that before you are paid.

Yes, 24/7 is what it takes to make it when new.  You are learning everyday and gaining new clients slowly. Marketing yourself like you did in the design business you will gradually see all your hard work pay off. I also love vacations and the flexibility of Real Estate but this year have only taken a few days off as I want to do all I can in this market to thrive.Hard work and getting your name out and Mind over matter and you will Survive and Thrive.

You must really enjoy what you are doing, especially in Real Estate because the person who will suffer is your client. Also, some good advice isto team up with a very experianced agent.