Should I be present for the home inspection?

We are selling the house on our own, so we don't have our own agent to be present during the home inspection.  I realize its not customary for the seller to be present during the home inspection, but we are still living in the house and I'm a little uncomfortable with having a group of strangers (HI, the buyers and their realtor) in my house while we're not here. 

July 30 2013 - Norman

Congratulations on selling your property.

I think it's important to have a representative of the seller at the inspection. There will be questions that need to be answered and issues that need to be addressed.

Also, you will want to know what the result is first hand.

Here's to a quiet closing!

April 10
I would be at the home inspection if you are uneasy with leaving strangers in your home.  Also it will give the inspector a chance to ask you some questions they may have, i.e. age of the heater, etc.  Especially not being represented by a real estate agent you'll have to know what the issues are to negotiate with the buyers agent.

April 10
The seller (buyer?)  had family members galore looking through the place.   This is totally inappropriate.   Their agent should have spoken up and kicked out the family.   The buyer(s) alone should be with the inspector and the agent representing the buyer. 

While home buying is an exciting time and many buyers wish to share with their family as soon as possible, it needs to be carefully monitored

April 09
I am selling my condo by owner. I let the buyer and inspector in my home alone. I was very uncomfortable about leaving strangers in my house. The seller had family members galore looking through the place. I guess I think the seller shouldn't be there but someone else should be in there to protect the property. And the buyer should've came alone or maybe with one helper since she is buying single. I was disappointed.

April 09
I would have to agree with many of the Realtors here, give the buyers the space to speak freely.  Yes, it can be an uncomfortable experience for you to not be in your home with strangers, however it is important for them to have that time and at this point the Realtor already has their life story and personal info that takes away the stranger factor.  The buyers Realtor should, but does not always accompany and stay for the entire process, so voice your desire for them to do so and if there is anything of concern or value to you, you can always remove for your own comfort while the inspection is taking place.  Good luck and hoping your inspection goes well!

I agree that you should not be present during a home inspection. An inspection generally last several hours and it's a great time for the buyers to really check the property out and with you in the house it's not as comfortable for them.
As far as you being uneasy with strangers in your house-they are with a broker and the inspector.  What's not to trust? These are professional people doing their jobs.  

The Seller should already know how bad of a problem is listed on the inspection report, it's already his house! The buyer is paying so the buyer should have the right to inspect without the Seller seeing or hearing what is going on. The Seller doesn't have a right to the Inspection Report and doesn't have a right to have the inspector tell or show him ANYTHING! If one of my clients said the owner was remaining, I would immediately tell my to ask the Seller to either leave or be prepared for a Termination Notice to be on the way. I can't believe we really have licensed real estate professions on here telling a Seller that he should be present for the Buyers Inspection. If the Seller wants to be present for an inspection, then he should plan on paying for one.

Yes, I would recommend being there for the inspection. You can learn a lot from the inspector, and get an idea of how severe an issue may be when looking at it, rather than some that sound severe on paper, but may not be that big of an issue.

Arpad

I would say NO, don't be there. Yes, it's your house. But, the buyer will want to be able to talk freely with the inspector to protect himself. If you are there, that condition won't exist. The buyer's agent is there to protect your house, and you shouldn't need to worry.

Where is the "Beating a Dead Horse" Emoticon? :-)

I would let the buyers and the buyers realtor know that you will be there to let them in the house. Advise them that you will be out of their way, but will be available should they have questions or need any assistance. It is your house and you have the right to watch over your property.

I HIGHLY recommend you not be present during the home inspection.  It is the agent's responsibility to maintain their buyer and the agent has insurance for added protection, should something happen.  I had a transaction completely fall apart last week because the seller insisted on being there for the inspection.  The buyer and inspector both told him the house was great, and then the buyer on paper asked for some corrections.  This really upset my seller, who would have had no problems with the request had he not been there in the first place.  We were able to save the transaction, but now everyone has hurt feelings.  Avoid the drama!  Just be gone.

It's YOUR house.  If you would like to be there you should, regardless of whether it makes someone else uncomfortable.  Keep in mind you might feel uncomfortable too hearing someone point out all the flaws of the property, but you never need permission to be in your own house.

The most common reasons agents don't want you in the house are because it easier for them to control the situation without you there, and it limits their ability to discuss negotiating strategies with their client if the seller is within earshot.

The seller is not normally present during the inspection and this can actually cause some tension if you are there.  I am always there for my buyer's inspections, but not for my listings.

The seller is not normally present for home inspection.  If you insist on being at the inspection call the buyers agent and see if the buyer is ok with you being there.

If you are the Seller they typically are not their for the home inspection, the Buyer is hiring an inspector to take a close look at the property and they typically are there during it along with any Agents if they have one.

If you are the seller, NO.  If you are the buyer, YES.

One other thing as a follow up. Even if you had your own Realtor, that Realtor probably wouldn't be present for the Buyer's home inspection either. I will often be present for my Buyer clients, but never for listings for the reasons mentioned previously.

Joe Stone - Realtor
Exclusive Homes
Arlington, TX.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!  I'm still thinking this one over, but if I decide to be here for it I will certainly be out of the way and not visible. 

MOD, please feel free to edit my post. I didn't know about Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy when I posted.

Joe Stone - Realtor
Exclusive Homes
Arlington, TX.

I would highly suggest that you not be there during the inspections. This is the buyer's one chance to spend significant time in your home, and you being there compromises their ability to see themselves living there. How about having a friend sit in for you? The friend can be more objective, and will not take an inspector or buyer's comments personally, as you can't help but do as the owner.

Kat Tyree, Associate Broker
[Contact information deleted by Zillow  moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines.]

Long story short, NO! The inspection is a time for the Buyer and a Licensed Inspector to throughly inspect and talk about your house. The Seller should not be there! Just put your valuables away just like you should have done when there were other Realtors showing your home. Keep in mind the Buyer is paying hundreds of dollars for the inspection and deserve to be able to have that time to inspect without feeling like the Seller is looking over their shoulder and/or influencing the inspector and what he has to say. The inspector's findings are for the Buyer's benefit only. If the Buyer wants to share the results then so be it, but they don't have to.

Joe Stone - Realtor®

Exclusive Homes

If it were me, I would be present.  The inspector may want to point out some things and I think it would really be helpful for you to be present, just make sure you don't get defensive about their findings.

In our area, it is not customary for the sellers agent to be at the home inspection.  I would contact the buyers agent and explain that you would like to be on the premises, but would not interfere with the inspection, unless they have questions.  They may still ask you to leave.  The buyer needs to feel free to discuss the findings openly with the inspector and his/her agent.  Your presence could hinder this.

Profile picture for SoCal_Engr
If it were me, and there isn't a REA, I would be present - just not "visible". Realistically, it also protects the buyers from any subsequent claims that they damaged the property (i.e., it's not "just their word", as you were present).

I've actually been present for inspections, even though many (most?) REAs advise against it. It turned out to be useful when the inspector or buyer had specific questions they wanted me to answer. The key is to be somewhere where they can find you if needed, but otherwise out-of-sight.

You may need to be a little more "visible", but I'd recommend you don't take an active role (i.e., let the inspector "inspect", stay in the background, only answer questions or provide information if asked). In other words, the buyer is "inspecting", it is not you "showing".