Profile picture for bsloane ward

Should I build a storage shed before selling?

I want to sell my home, but I am not sure if I should spend the money and build a storage shed in the back yard. I live on the coast so snow is never a problem and the house didn't have a garage to begin with (the lot is long and narrow). I cannot afford to build a garage, so is a nice storage shed a good compromise and worth it?
  • December 01 2013 - US

Without knowing what the neighborhood is like, it is difficult to ascertain whether adding a shed is a good idea.  Do most of your neighbors have sheds in their backyards?

Agreed, you may build a shed that the buyer in turn just decides to tear down. If you receive a lot of buyer feedback that there is not enough storage space, you could perhaps have your agent point out to potential buyers the space in your yard available for a storage shed.

Yeah, I would not do it. Only if you need it and and you aren't selling anytime soon  . . .

Profile picture for blue screen exile
Waste of time and money

If there is a code requirement for covered parking, no storage shed will meet that requirement.  And the probability that you will build what a buyer wants is pretty small.  You will pay more for it that the buyer will pay you for it.  And it adds almost nothing to an appraised value.