Profile picture for not sure what to do

Should I buy a condo knowing they have a not pets policy when I have a cat?

I put a bid in on a condo and then realized they have a no pets policy.  We tried to work with the HOA and asked for a waiver for my one cat, but they said no way, the only allowable pet is fish.  This place is a GREAT deal, and rates are so low...this is my first place.  Should I just sneak the cat in?  Can they even prove that I have a cat?
  • March 30 2009 - Wheaton
  • 0

I recommend you pass.  There will be other condos ..

I agree. Find something with more freedom and flexibility. It is better for resale too.

I love pets too!  But in this case if you stay, the cat probably will not.  Maybe a relative or good friend can take it until it is time to get a house. I hope it works out for you.Mark

Profile picture for natewolf
Read the rules. Quiet literally, they can fine you for the violation, and if you refuse to pay, they can take you to court, and eventually they can foreclose on your property. You can bring it up for a vote at a HOA meeting and attempt to change the rule, but blatantly violating it is not the way to go.

Not if you value your cat. They can legally require you to remove the cat from your condo if it is a restriction in the deed.

Profile picture for Undone
Why would you even want to "buy" something that restrictive?
Can you even claim to own it if you can't even choose to have a cat? :(