Profile picture for Jmarkus79

Should I change my flooring in my Kitchen

I currently have hardwood but it is much older then the other rooms on the same floor. It is darker and has bigger dirty gaps in between boards. For instance my kitchen is at the back of the house and opens into the family room which has a different (newer wood floor).  The Living and Dining rooms both have the updated newer hardwood as well and this leaves the entryway, hall and kitchen (which is in between all the other rooms) outdated and old.  I've thought about putting a beautiful tile down in the entry, hall and kitchen but have heard it would stop the "flow" in the house.   I can't update the wood to exactly match the other wood though or so I've heard so I need some advice.  I've uploaded some pics ...     I have more pics but this is looking into the kitchen from the Family Room...  The family room floor shines and is the updated one. Then I added the entryway so you can see the old floor and the living room for the new. We've painted so don't mind the colors!!!!  I plan on doing a whole kitchen remodel but will do in stages....   THANKS!
  • February 19 2010 - Woodbridge

I feel the same as Tom.
Wait until you have the kitchen all planned out before you start to decide on a flooring.
It does look like you could remove the whole wall where the spindles are at , even the two feet or so on the right side of the spindles.
I do like the chair railing (other than the paint colors).
Only question I have is : Is that chair rail over behind the front door ?
Looks like it just goes down the wall and stops on a line even with the first stair tread .
This looks out of place.
I would just remove that piece, since there would never be a chair there any way.
If it is to stop the door , you could always use a door stop screwed to the baseboard.

Just my opinion.

Profile picture for Jmarkus79
It's funny you mentioned that.  I DISPISE those spindles and will tear those down as soon as I can!  :)  Thanks for the advice and yes I will wait to do the floors until I decide on cabinets and countertops.

Joanne

WAIT!
 If you plan to remodel the kitchen in the near future, you should wait to do the floor at the same time. There are several reason for this but the foremost is that if you put the flooring in now, you will limit what you can change in the kitchen as far as the layout goes.
 Another reason is that the new tile might look great with your existing cabinets but it might not be exactly perfect for the soon to come remodel.
 Talk to a few local kitchen design firms... plan out the whole kitchen and then work backward to see what parts of the project make sense to do in stages and more importantly, what parts don't. By having a clear picture of what the finished project will be much better prepared and will know the finished project will be what you want.

And a tile floor in the kitchen will not interrupt the flow of your house, but please eliminate that halfwall and the spindles!

Good Luck with your project!