Profile picture for maconmy

Should I consider making an offer on the attached property, which is not for sale?

The attached property is owned by an out-of-town owner, who purchased the property 5 years ago with no money down.  This attached house's sewer line runs to the city-hookup through my property.  This "double house" was built in the 1840's and both sides of this "duplex" have always been owned by the same person until 2000.  I would like to own both sides of this "duplex/double house" and live in my current "half" and rent out the attached house.  This situation is quite difficult to explain.  I have consulted with a real estate agent, who has indicated I am in a good position to make an offer.  Again, the house is not on the market and is currently renter occupied.  I am wondering if the sewer line from the property next door is a factor that could encourage the owner to sell.  He was not granted an easement for the sewer line.  It is only a matter of time before his sewer hook-up to the city sewer system fails and must be replaced, etc. etc.  I wonder if the sewer hook-up issue could be helpful in motivating the owner to sell.  I can explain my situation and intentions much better if the forum could tell me what info. is needed to determine if I should consider making and offer and if I could use their sewer connection issue to motivate a sale and help determine the amount I offer. 
  • May 23 2014 - Church Hill North
  • 0

I agree if you have a realtor then use that realtor to help you in this situation.  I see your dilemma and like to know more.  How does the sewer line come in?  does it go from street side to yours then bifurcates to his?  How is his side being measured?  Is the city splitting the bill between two homes?  How sure are you of the easement? How do you suspect that is sewer system might fail? 

You can offer anytime you want but you don't want to come off the aggressor just because of the sewer issue.  Good Luck

Profile picture for DickBarr
My experience says the ultimatum pitch is the worst pitch possible, especially since he controls who you live next to (share a wall with). 

Even if you don't mean it as an ultimatum, he will most likely perceive it that way.

I suggest you make an offer, period. I suggest you use your agent, so as not to let the conversation get emotional, or self interested.

Your agent will act as a buffer between you two and allow for a fluid, professional exchange.  

Owner to owner doesnt always end very well.

If not an agent, at least an attorney.  Only problem with the attorney is that he will charge for his time, the agent will only charge a commission.

It will not hurt to ask