Profile picture for sarav2021

Should I convert my rec room into a garage?

The house supposedly a "Show House" back in the day, so the garage was converted to an office, then used as a rec room by the first owners.  The room has been repainted from floor to ceiling, and the floor has new 12 x 12 tiles for a garage.  the a/c doesn't cover that room at all, so the first owners used a window unit.  we don't use the room at all, except for storage.  The door and windows need to be replaced, as well as part of the siding.  This is the first house I have ever lived in, and learning a lot.  Would it just be more economical to convert to a fully working garage or do all the replacements?
  • July 11 2011 - Midwest City
  • 0

To add to the good responses you've received below, I'd just caution you to check with the local government (City or County) planning department. The City or County may have a requirement that you keep the garage as a garage, and that may limit your options in terms of converting that garage to living space. Or they may tell you to "go for it" but will want you to get a permit for some of the work. If you can keep your garage in conformance with local regulations (building permits and so on), you'll have better luck reaping the value of any work you do to that garage, when it comes time for you to sell the house. -- Good luck! I remember working on similar projects in my first home. That was a real learning experience for me too!

Not being heated or cooled is shows very little value. Ask yourself, would I prefer a garage and be more like the neighboring homes in the area? It goes back to "Does a pool add value?" it does if the purchaser wants a pool. Would a buyer want a garage? I personally don't like converted garages... they tend to always look like a conversion. I vote garage if your already using it for storage.

Profile picture for OK State Lender
What you need to do is find out if the room was included in the square footage of the house when you bought it. If there is heat and air in the room then there may be a good possibility that it was included in the square footage. If you revert it to a garage you may loose that square footage when you go to sell it. However, you are probably being penalized for not having a garage. So it may be a break even. I would suggest that you contact a Realtor and ask them what would increase the value of your home more, keeping it as a room or converting it back to a garage.

Value wise, check out the rest of the neighborhood. If there others with converted garages, leave it and do the upgrades.

If they don't have converted garages, change it back. It will add more back to your value.

Being that it doesn't have central heat and air, you cant use it as livable square footage right now any way.

Good Luck!!!

-Cru