Profile picture for kev0312

Should I get another real estate agent?

Long story short; I went to look at a condo on my own and met a real estate agent.  He gave me his card and told me to call when I'm ready to start looking. Fast forward to now; got my mortgage pre-approval and called him, he tells me he is going on a 10 day vacation in a couple of days. Tells me to email him what I'm looking for, he enrolls me in connectMLS.  I see some properties and tell him I'd like to see some this weekend and that I don't mind going alone if he can arrange the showings for me.  He emails back unable to schedule showings either because its a lock box or the listing agent is not calling back. 

Shouldn't he just ask one of his coworkers to fill in while he's out or Is it wrong to expect this?  Maybe I'm over reacting or being unreasonable as I know a commission is involved.  I wanted to get feed back from other real estate agents to help me make a fair decision.  
  • March 10 2011 - Staten Island
  • 0

Best Answer

Unfortunately, from what you say here, you made the mistake that so many do:  decided to use an agent who you just met without seriously interviewing him and others.

This is a huge financial investment and you need to have someone on your side who is professional, knowledgable, available (or arranges coverage with a competent agent while away as others have said) and honest.

Telling you that he can't arrange showings while he is away is simply being dishonest:  obviously he can, he is simply choosing not to.

Take the opportunity while he is away to do some serious interviewing and that should help you make a decision as to whether or not this dude is worth sticking with.

Wow!  Just saw the BA.  Thank you Vince.  Much appreciated and honored.

So many points. If the agent told you upfront about his/her trip and you
agreed, something should have been worked out, prior. If you really never
knew or worked with said agent prior and do not know how hard or not so hard they work for you then, perhaps looking or interviewing a new agent may be in order. I try to make sure all of my ducks are in a row and clients
are taken care or when I take my trips. Again, it almost seems the both of you didn't have a clear and upfront time frame for your goals. I know when I shop for services, I make sure all I need answered, is upfront. Once I do
find my fit, I would not let them go because they live or have a life, like my
accountant or lawyer, they are now like family, but earned that title.

I hope that helps.

-Shawn

You should interview a few agents, but go with an agent that has a team, because they all work together and help each other. Plus, don't you have any family or friends that can refer you to an agent that they have worked with before?

Find another agent who can help you right away.  If you haven't signed a buyer's agent agreement with this agent, then you should choose another agent to work with. 

Profile picture for BJWest
You should always choose an agent who is in an office where agents always cover for one another, (team approach)  This is a question to ask before you hire
an agent. In some offices only the listing agent shows his own listings, not a good
deal for the buyer or the seller, only the agent.  The same type of scenario can happen with a buyer's broker.

A real estate broker is a business partner with for you during your purchase, advise, and also key follow up. My best advise is to find a true professional to work with you. Good luck. wdm

Profile picture for kasprza3
find another one .. i dont think you have singed anything yet :) u are not obligated to be rep by him

Yes, you should get another agent.

Profile picture for kev0312
Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my question.  All great answers!  I will find someone else to represent me.

Profile picture for robin398
Please remember not to SPAM when answering the question.  Please refrain from putting your contact info including websites into your answer.

Profile picture for rockinblu
I think Joan's answer is spot on. In my blog on selecting a listing agent a key contributor, Alan May, had in his list of interview questions the following:

" Are you planning any upcoming vacations or are you going to be unavailable, and who is your back-up when you're gone?" 

Vince:

Personally, when there is a buyer that comes around prequalified and ready to go, I put my nose to the grindstone.  Realtors do need vacation though, especially in this tough up and down business.  You should tell him that you do not want to wait to view homes, if that is the case.  If you have been working with him and there is a comfort zone, give him another chance.  Also, if you are looking for condos, I have a very large and inexpensive listing in Rossville that might be right up your alley.  You can view the videotour and if you would like to see it, I will take you in and you can deal with your agent if and when it comes time to make an offer.
[link removed by moderator]

HAPPY HUNTING!

It's a tough one, going by yourself may not be an option, but he should find someone who can cover for him for the time being.

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
I agree with the others.  10 days is too long to leave without backup, any agent that does that should expect that they won't keep customers during that time.  If you want to give him the chance simply ask if he has a backup, if not then choose someone else.  Our availability is a huge part of our service- an agent that can't be available is not earning their part of the pay.

Hi Vince,

The corner stone of our business is service. You sound like a "stand-up" guy and gave this realtor a chance to service you and he isn't following through. I'm sure there is someone at his office he could call to accommodate your needs, but he isn't willing to share the commission. If you're feeling compassionate, give him another chance to arrange the showings. But I would drop him. What if he wants to take another vacation at inspection time or closing time? You need a reliable realtor.

When I was at the other side of the table, I once "fired" an agent for  forgeting to bring a pen (that was the "straw that broke the camel's back"... actually, that was the last agent I used before I get my own license) for a 2nd viewing and go/no go decision point.

To get back to your question, we are in the service industry. A professional one will have backup on a long vacation (a backup earns 25-50% cut).

If I were a buyer, I would not use an agent with no backup for vacation over 3 work days.

In general, I'd say 10 days is a long time to leave town without arranging backup coverage.  I would give your agent one more shot to redeem himself and ask him if he has someone covering his business while he's away.  If not, and if there's something you want/need to see right away, I don't think you have much choice.