Profile picture for Craigm7513

Should I get rid of my agent?

I found a house that I like but it is priced to high for the market. I would bid a more reasonable price but my agent seems unable to negotiate any deals. I've had three bids fail so far. Note that I am in a small market that is not very hot. Homes do sit for awhile but the occasional nice one does move quick. Also we have a contract to sell our home with the same agent but its not on the market yet.

• June 25 2012 - US
  • 0

Best Answer

Contingencies make offers less desirable.  Very few sellers would accept a sale contingency.  I suggest that you sell your home first and then start putting offers.

I agree that you should at least have your home listed and at least your are trying to sell your home. Agents dont negotiate, like people think we do. You as a Buyer are setting the numbers. Are you listening to your agents suggestions?

Profile picture for Craigm7513
I chose this response because she knows what going on. More great information from a realtor. What would we do without them?

A seller can chose any offer they wish, and there is no expectation that when there are competing offers that you will be provided the option to counter.  Sometimes it happens, usually it doesn't.   There are a lot of people buying with cash at the moment, that often wins over an offer with a financing contingency.  Even then, the seller doesn't have to accept the cash offer nor the highest offer. 

I don't see any clue in your description that your agent has done anything wrong.  (I am not an agent, but have bought and sold a number of homes.  I have high expectations of an agent's performance and often annoy agents posting on Zillow because of my expectations!).

You have more than once mentioned that agents are in the same office, and I'm reading between the lines that you expect that should increase communication.    I've not seen that happen because most agents aren't in the office except for quick stops to achieve some fast business.

Profile picture for Craigm7513

The second house only had contingencies for inspections and financing. We had a pre-approval letter attached to the offer. That house is in pending status so we don't know what it sold for. Again the house was sold by another agent in our agents organization. Once the agent got the offer he called and asked about our financing. Confirming that we were pre-approved. He then called back 10 minutes later and left a message that we didn't have the winning bid. There was not even an opportunity to counter offer.

Property 1:  a contingency to sell your own home rarely is accepted. This is almost guaranteed  to get a rejection with a short sale.    Your agent should have alerted you to this fact.  

Property 2:  Your offer was $5000 over asking.  Did you have any other contingencies or requests (such as help with closing costs)?   What was the final selling price?   What further negotiation would you like to have seen?  

Have you requested that your agent set up automated searches so that houses within your search criteria are sent to you promptly?   

Profile picture for Craigm7513

The first bid was for full price on a short sale. We didn't get that one because we had a contingency to sell our home. The second one we offered $5,000 over asking and didn't include the sale of our house as a contingency and still lost it. The third one we backed away from because it became apparent that we could not come to an agreement on selling price. That house is still on the market.

The house we are currently interested in has a selling price that is 20K to 30K over what the comps are. I would write an offer but I have lost faith in my agents ability to negotiate a price. She don't appear to have very good communications with other agents. For example the house we like is being sold by another agent in her office but we had to find the house online and request to see it. I would expect that agents in the same office would share info like: I have a buyer in this range or I am going to list a house in this range. It seems as soon a house comes on the market she should be telling us about it.

Yes, most agents who try and act like buyer's agents still are just trying to get a deal to close whether it's the best deal for you as the buyer or not.  I would kick your agent to the curb, do your own negotiating and hire a Real Estate Attorney to review your contract prior to signing it.  Often you will break even on what you spend on the Attorney by being able to negotiate the price of the house a bit lower because the Listing Agent won't have to split a commission with the Buyer's Agent and will often reduce his/her commission.  

Profile picture for Bruce Cadden
The bottom line is that if you're not satisified with your agent for any reason, you have every right to use someone else. I don't see why it's being assumed that you're low balling offers. Even if you are, so? Your agent should be there to advise, not dictate. It's up to you to take the advice or leave it.

Give us examples of what you offered and what the properties were listed at.  Without that little bit of information, there is nothing we can say, really.  For instance if a property is listed at $400,000 and you have offered $275,000 you may not have gotten it.  Give us an idea of what you are talking about, and remember, if you are low balling, your future buyers may also will low balling your offers when you list your property.  It is still a buyer's market but within reason.

What is your basis for saying it is priced too high? If you ask your agent for an opinion, he should be able to prepare a comparable market analysis that will clearly show the reason for his valuation. Most homes sell for market value and if you are writing low-ball offers, you will most likely continue to lose out.

Has you agent closed any deals with other clients? If so, I doubt that the agent is unable to negotiate deals. How did you determine that the house is overpriced for the market? In my experience, agents try to price a listing where it will sell. After all, they don't get paid if they don't sell the house. Prior to putting in an offer, did your agent show you comparable properties and what they sold for? That's always a good start to know what the going price is. Your offer should be in line with the comparable homes that sold. It might or might not be a buyers market where you are, but Realtors understand the market they are in and typically price their homes accordingly. Sit down with your agent and try to unemotionally discuss the reasons why the sellers didn't accept your offer. Are your terms reasonable? Are they looking for a quick settlement that you are unable to do because your house is not yet on the market? Are you making your offer contingent on your house selling? If it's a slow market, sellers may be unwilling, regardless of the offer amount, to accept one with that contingency.

An offer is about more than price. That's why it's a good idea to have a heart to heart discussion with your agent. If you get no satisfaction from that discussion, it may be time to shop around for another one.