Should I go or stay?

I have already posted previously about the problems I was having with my realtor. After that failed offer, we talked and she claimed to understand my fustrations. She also promised to improve. She has since found a listing that I like and have put in an offer on. After not hearing anything for 2 days, I text her at  12 pm to find out if she has any new information. She emails me at 11pm that night with the counter offer and ask how I plan to proceed.  At 7am the next morning she text me saying she sent me an email. I call immediately to discuss the counter offer. No return call until 4pm this afternon. I call back at 6pm and no return call since. I hope Iam not being too senstive but this just doesnt feel right. I want to know if she is negotiating or just taking the counter from the listing agent and saying oh well ok. I am the one looking at comps and asking is this a house I need to pay this amount(full price with 2000 closing paid by seller) for and will it appreciate. Not any of that has been volunteered. Only thing she says is how i need to go up on my offer, no afvice as to if this is a smart buy or not. What do I need a realtor for?

April 05 2012 - Greenville

While I agree that no Realtor can advise someone of what is a "good buy", I do believe that the communication is what's lacking in this situation.  Ultimately, the word "timely" has its own definition for everyone, but 11 hours seems a little excessive.  Actually, 6 hours would be excessive in my opinion, but who knows what is going on behind the scenes.  I am a full-time Realtor, and I have a lot on my plate (including two kids under 6), but communication (especially during negotiations) should be a top priority.

Mark...no I haven't but I do know she has a husband and 2 kids. A counteroffer that was due 0945 previously. I signed papers at 0940 bc she had to drop her kids off. So I have wondered does she just have a lot on her plate

Before you selected this Realtor, did you ask them if real estate was their full time profession or if they had another job? Maybe they are also working another job and therefore unable to give you the level of service that you deserve?

What is the time frame for acceptance of the counter offer and has that time passed? If you are truly frustrated I would contact the broker/owner of the office and state your frustrations. If you feel you really are not being treated with timely replies you might ask for another realtor from that office to assist  you  as it seems you and that realtor are not a good match. Communication is everything and of the two of you are not communicating then its time for the broker to intervene.

Good luck

And about the comps in the area. I asked at 6 pm with no return feedback. Maybe later in morning I will get an answer.

My expectations are presenting homes that fit my needs, being avaiable for showings, communicating any and everything that is going on with the property when I have an offer on the table in a timely manner. A deal can fall through and be swept up by someone else in 24hrs. As a professional I shouldn't have to explain her job to her. I have to disagree that an agent should not direct you away from making an investment that is not in your best interest. I expect a realtor to give me the facts and if I wish to proceed it is at my own risk and wishes.

My humble opinion is that an agent should not be offering advice on "as to if this is a smart buy or not".    

Two suggestions:

a.  Have a discussion with your agent about communication expectations.   What is reasonable for response time for communications?   Perhaps one of you expects 30 minutes is reasonable and the other considers 24 h - I can't tell you what is right, but the two of you need to have it clear between the two of you.   Are there hours where you both need your private time or is 24/7 reasonable for both of you?  

b.  Have you asked your agent for feedback for comps for the property?   This all ties in with communication of expectations.

After your post on March 14 about experiences, what discussions did you have with your agent?   My experience as a consumer is that there are some great agents out there and some lousy agents out there but with both of them there is some burden on my shoulders to clarify expectations because the agent doesn't know my needs without me saying something.