Profile picture for auctionsaver

Should I hire a mover or do it myself?

I was surprised to see no posts on here about actually moving in the moving category.

Anyway, I am closing on a house 8/30 and moving from a 2nd floor 2 BR apartment to a new house (1 level with basement)

I am sending out for quotes now.  I originally planned to move myself with my two kids (15 and 16).  I am 37 and am in good shape, BUT I had abdominal surgery 6/27 (colon resection).  I startled my doctors in how well I was recovering and left the hospital in 5 instead of 7 days.  I was major though as they have to cut me open from my belly button to right abover where I won't mention (30 staples).  I am not supposed to lift anything more than 15-20lbs until 4-6 weeks.  I feel a-ok now after 3.5 weeks, and think I could handle it with the help of my kids.  My family can't really help because the seller is insisting on a tuesday close and my lease where I am ends the next day so it leaves me with little options.

I bought a hand truck for 60 (can still return it) and priced up a moving truck for 3-4 days (loading and unloading around work schedule) and am coming up with 200-250.  I am thinking for not much more I could hire a company for a local move.  One of there websites listed their rates at $112/hour 3 men/1 truck and about 1-1.5 hours per occupied room. So I am thinking it will run 400-500 assuming I have everything packed and staged.

I am just trying to convince myself it is worthe.  I am a single parent and money is tight (especially after closing) and I am pretty cheap.  But I keep thinking it is a once in a decade or so thing and to just give in and spend the money.

Any thoughts?
  • July 21 2011 - US
  • 0

"Anyway...imo
Don't move"

Amen brother. Moving is a death where you are slowly suffocated with stacks of boxes. Actually, I think they originally invented moving as a torture device. Shoot, just the threat of moving could have probably saved many from the rack in medieval times. lol

Profile picture for Dunes ..
I remember how just after getting married we had a big move coming up and all of a sudden a move involved the collections of 2 people....my stuff and her junk. Anyway my plan was to just get someone else to do any labor...whatever was necessary including paying was fine with me as long as I got someone else to do all the labor/work.
THEN
Walking around the cool pad we were soon to leave for a cooler pad I found myself directly in front of the shelves (concrete blocks and some 1X6's) where my new cool pad mate kept her not so cool collection of "collectables". I suddenly realized that "moving" presents the perfect scenario for not so cool junk to go MIA...but I'd have to be involved enough to assist.

Well short story long......saved money it would appear (didn't hire/pay anyone..had truck)
but
I figure the cost of her attempting to replace those unfortunately MIA items from her junk over the next few years was probably thousands of dollars & hours and hours of pretending to listen to her recall how beautiful and irreplaceable those "collectables" were...and her clothes...and her comforter...and that ugly painting..and that...
Anyway...imo
Don't move

Not pickin up what you're posting 40. BTW has anyone see the cat? I haven't been able to find her since the movers left.

Profile picture for katherineroberts40
I agree with what wetdawg said, lets be reasonable. Moving can be pretty stressful and not just the expense of doing it your self, that is, renting a truck, and buying pizza and beer and buying fuels, paying for maintenance service for the rental and trust me the list goes on. Having a professional person to come and move for you is pretty simple and there are lots of benefits to go with it, that is, extra insurance; in  case something damages, they also pack for you, your items are safe and secure, they are always on time, you don't have to fuss with the packing either, they have the experience, industrial credibility and i can  list all of it, try doing a moving budget and you will see the cost for yourself and we just shouldn't look at price but is the value of service worth the price. For me  [Promotion deleted by Zillow  moderator. See our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines.]

Hire professional movers and let them do all the hard work. Moving is stressful as it is, don't make the process harder by packing and moving yourself. I moved with [hotlink delete by Zillow moderator], and they were quick and efficient. My moved went by super quick. Just make sure you do your research and check to make sure the moving company is licensed and credible and have a good rating on the BBB.

Profile picture for josh11c
I am really feeling bad that i just go through your question very late after 1 year. However, I am not sure that you are still searching a right answer for this question or not. [Promotion and hotlink removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for guidelines.]

Profile picture for pvhomes
Hire a Mover. Save your back.

Hire a professional after checing with your better business bureau or speaking to friends and family or coworkers to see if they hired anyone recently and if they were happy. pack items yourself if you can and check to see that if you did pack items yourself and it breaks in moving, will it be covered under the movers insurance policy or do they need to pack it all. 
This will help you in case something breaks or gets damaged so check the company's policy on damages or get your own insurance too just in case and save your body from injury.
hiring professionals may be less expensive in the long run in case of injury,and damages to well  loved items and they have the right tools for the right job. good luck

You need to check with your doctor.

I've had hernia surgery (twice!) and I was careful not to lift beyond the weight limit for the full six weeks. Your surgery was much more serious. If you injure yourself to save a few bucks, the results could be catastrophic to your health and your wallet.

Of course I put my back out last Friday and I'm sitting here debating whether I should help my neighbor move tomorrow. So yeah, sometimes common sense flies right out the door.

It doesn't sound like you have much of a choice. Hiring professionals seems like the right choice for you. With health problems and few people ready, willing and able to help you your kids will end up doing the move all on their own. I'd spend a few extra hundred dollars and have it done properly by professionals.

May I gently recommend use of the word "frugal" rather than "cheap"?

If your costs doing it yourself are $250, $500 for three men and truck isn't so bad.   In addition to your base costs, the other things to consider are cost of pizza for the kids and their friends, beer and pizza  for your adult friends etc. 

Professionals will move your stuff quickly, safely and leave you with energy for unpacking at the other end (as well as cleaning up the apartment so you get your deposit back).  There is always far more than you think when you start lugging stuff down stairs.

You also need a contingency plan for what happens if you don't get access that Tuesday. 

And, if you decided to do it yourself, please get the go ahead from your doctor.  "back to your full self" and lifting a full households worth of furniture and other stuff may not be in the doc's definition of full self.