Should I pay for a home inspection as a seller???

I just came across this Purchase a home inspection before listing and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with it or has heard of this theory?  It's a lot of money to put out on top of staging, etc...

• August 07 2008 - US
  • 0

It depends...sometimes it makes sense for a seller to pay for a home inspection prior to listing so they can repair or otherwise mitigate problems.

As a buyer, I would never trust an inspection done by a seller. As a seller, I would only pay for an inspection if I already suspected problems that I would be responsible for fixing at time of sale. My guess is that the inspectors just want more work and personally I wouldn't waste my money.

I always recommend a pre-listing inspection.  It's for the seller's peace of mind and not offered to the buyers.  It's only an average of $250 and can save thousands later.  There shouldn't be any surprises once the buyer's inspector visits the property.  How likely will a buyer's comfort level increase receiving a clear inspection report. 

I Think it's a good idea to do if you are a seller but in this market I would suggest waiting to get a really good potentional buyer and suggest they split the cost and let him pick one so there is a little trust involved.Just handing someone a piece of papper that he never met before he may not believe him or you and then thjere is how old will it get between buyers-less credable with age. bob fitz trying to sell 1 house in cranford new jersey as of today(startdatetoday)

Profile picture for Sunshinelady

Personally I recommend it.  There are lots of stories on here about sellers finally getting a buyer.  The inspector comes in and gives a whole list of somewhat small minor items that require fixing.  Buyers wants them all fixed professionally, with receipts for each.  Many of these are items that you could take care of yourself but now you have to pay someone to do it.  We paid for a pre-inspection ($250.00) of our home after we had been on the market for over a year.  As we were dropping the price we got concerned that there might be something wrong that we weren't aware of and that would factor into what it cost us when and if we ever got an offer.  So we found an inspector that offered a 4 month warrantly on his inspection.  If anything went wrong during that 4 months it was covered by the warranty.  It was just like the warranties that sellers offer to buyers.  Anyway, we hired him, asked him to be extremely picky and write up everything he saw.  We were able to fix 99% of these ourselves which saved us lots of money.  Two weeks after his inspection, the spring on the garage door broke and the $175.00 was covered by the inspection.  Then fortunately we sold the home during this 4 months.  The buyer asked for a home inspection and it turned up a couple things the first inspector missed, and guess what, they were covered by the warranty as well -- so, having the pre-inspection actually saved us money.

Profile picture for wannagonow

I highly recommend this, because then you know if you have any issues before a buyer makes a mountain out of a mohill.  If you have an older home too, it makes sense to be proactive. I know it's costly, but may be worth it to verify that it's all checked out.

Profile picture for wannagonow

sunshine l

Profile picture for wannagonow

sunshine lady: wish we would have went your route about getting a warranty....would never think you need it, but we just closed at the end of july and could have used it to verify our home was in good order.  Because it was basically our inspector vs. their inspector's word.

We had a regular inspection but didnt know about the warranty--great feature.

You should without a doubt. make copies and pass it out to any potentials. It will avoid the possibility of the buyer having a second opportunity to renegotiating the deal. Your price is based and so is their showing on the EXACT nature of your property.

James Joseph

www.RealEstateRevolution.wordpress.com

Yes Yes Yes- just like offering home warranty helps sell, so does an inspection when you correct any problems and can present a copy of clear inspection to potential buyer.

Profile picture for BtrL8ThnNvr

The buyer may still want to hire their own inspector though.  Which shouldn't be a problem if you've taken care of all of the issues.

Profile picture for andyman68

Does a home warranty really help sell a home?  I thought offering one should be part of the negotiations when making or accepting an offer.

Profile picture for scecy

I think it is a good idea and plan on getting a home inspection before I put my house on the market.  I don't want surprises later on and this way, we can fix anything that comes up (that we feel needs addressing).  If the inspection report is largely favorable (we do have newer roof, HVAC, basement waterproofing) then I can offer a copy of my report to prospective buyers.  Sure, I expect them to do their own if they are interested in my house, but they'd be able to see that the house has no major defects.  And we'd be able to tell them right off the bat that smaller items have already been dealt with.  Overall I think it puts me in a better position as the seller.