Profile picture for jaguarxk8

Should I refi ?

Currently owe 212K on Mortgage. House value approx $275k. 5/1 ARM at 4.25% resets in May. Also have HELOC of $40k.

Looking to go with 15yr at around 4.5% quoted. Based on calculators Payment will wind up being same for 15yr/4.5% since at present I pay additional $400/month in principal for my 5/1 ARM at 4.25%

Can I refi primary mortage with another lender and keep HELOC separate rather than rolling it into one mortgage amount ?
  • January 08 2009 - US
  • 0

You have to call the lender that holds your HELOC and ask them what their re-subordination policy is. They have to be willing to remain in second position.

Profile picture for Planners
Most likely your rate will reset pretty close to what you are currently paying. Instead of paying a bunch of points and closing costs, plus the higher payment of a new 15 year loan, I would concentrate on paying off the equity line as fast as possible to build equity in your home.

Tom O