Profile picture for adhart85

Should I remove a tree growing less than 2 feet away from the garage?

We have a tree that is growing very close to our garage.  It's healthy and it looks like it has been there a long time.  Should we have it removed?
  • March 06 2009 - US
  • 0

In my opinion, I would say most definitely.

Not only is it a liability to the slab of your structure, eventually it may lose a limb and then you will have a homeowners' insurance claim for the damage! Regardless of the type of tree, if within 24 inches of a structure I would remove it and grind the stump.

Ryan

YES

Profile picture for Jon Petersen
it really depends. As a concrete contractor who has had a number of jobs because of tree damage, I would suggest taking a picture of it to a local nursery to determine the species. Then you need to determine if the root system is damaging. Palms do practically no damage, along with a number of other trees. If the root system is potentially damaging, I would remove/transplant asap.
Sometimes the damage can be done before you see any signs. Roots love to go toward water pipes with a very small leak, and cause massive damage. I had a friend who left on vacation, and came back to a flooded house with in excess to 100k in damage due to a tree root.

Profile picture for Alan Grizzle
If it is small I would suggest taking it out before it gets to be a problem. It will cost you a lot to have someone take down a big tree near any structure. Better to get it while it is small and not a problem.

Profile picture for Mr Caveat
dont worry about the foliage, worry about the roots... shove a very large sheet of sheet metal strait down between the tree and your house in a semicircle.(to be read as use a shovel to bury the already curved sheet metal...) trim your tree and you will be good to go for at least 5 more years.

this is the only way to control bamboo, for instance.

(if you like the tree, that is.)

NOTE: you may need to saw through roots that will die afterwards... this act may in effect kill the tree...you would then need to remove it as pests love dead stuff

Profile picture for jltrm
Not to be funny

BUT

What do you think.

YES

Depends on the tree. A japanese maple grows very slowly has well behaving roots and minimal branch/leaf debris to damage your garage while an aspen growing nearby can damage or lift your foundation. Here is more info about how to decide wether to remove it. If it were me, I would.

I would call a tree specialist that is also an arborist, to find out what type of tree it is (unless you already know). There are some trees that are great to have growing close to your home and others that are not good for the foundation or pipes for water, gas, sewer etc. The trend these days, is to get all large overgrown foliage away from the house to give it curb appeal and replace the dated foliage with easy maintenance free plantings that won't grow too tall.

Yes I agree with all the answers.  Unfortunately I am dealing with the same issue with my buyers!  The house they are buying has 12 beautiful big redwood trees over 25 years old and they are starting to damage the neighbor's driveway so as sad as it is to see a redwood grove" go in smoke" my clients have to do!!!  Maybe you can ask an arborist if you can replant the tree somewhere else though you might have to dig a huge hole to grab all of the roots but it might be worth it to you.

I'm not an aborist but I would do some research on the type of tree. You say its been there for a while so its either about to lift your foundation or not a problem at all. I've noticed some trees have roots right at the surface but some don't, so do some research before you pay to take down what may be an asset to your yard.
Dan - [content removed for being self promotional]

Two feet is very close.   The roots etc will disrupt the garage foundation.  

This is a common problem.  When novices plant, they forget the tree/bush is going to get bigger.  Several bushes have been removed from my yard as they were planted about 8 to 12" from the house.  Even with weekly pruning, some of them were always hitting the house.