Should I still be paying rent?

I recently put in a vacate notice and moved out of my rental. In doing so I was told I would be responsible for rent until another tenant moved in. After a week of having the house on the market (for rental); I find out it is no longer available for rent through some research. When I call the property management office inquiring about the property I am told that the owner decided to take it off the market, but yet I am still paying rent. First off, no one let me know of this decision, and second doesn't my contract become void if that is what she decides to do? Or am I required to pay rent for 4 more months because of my conract???
  • July 15 2013 - Virginia Beach

In most states, if you chose to vacate before the end of the lease you are responsible for rent either through the end of the lease or until the landlord finds a replacement tenant using reasonable diligence to find the replacement.   If the landlord has decided not to rent, it appears there is no "reasonable diligence".   I'd see if there is a hotline in your state to call for some advice, or have a quick consult with an attorney.