Profile picture for danasdad08820

Should I tile the entire bathroom?

We just retiled the childrens/guest bathroom which about 6x9 and has 8 foot high ceilings. My wife wants to get more of the tile and have the contractor do the whoile bathroom all the way to the ceiling. I think that would be a bit much and will look outdated withing a few years.  I suggested tile halfway up the wall like a chairrail but she's not thrilled about that. Any suggestions?

December 20 2008 - Manalapan

Profile picture for archphoto
I have been in some bathrooms where every square inch was tiles- floor, walls, celings, counters- and looked amazing.  In the house I currently live in I wouldn't do it just because it wouldn't fit the feel and look of the house.  It would be like puting a giant fountain in a tiny front yard- just out of place.  If it is done well and you choose the right material it can come out really nice, but it is something that can easily go wrong if you aren't careful.  The trouble with tile is you really don't know how it is going to look until it is done.  Maybe see if you can convince her into a beadboard wainscott or some alternate wall treatment.  It can be done cheaply and is easily removed if you decide you don't like it.  When it comes down to the final decision it is really a matter of personal taste, just tread lightly if you are going to tell her you don't like her taste in design!!!

Profile picture for dunmoved
subway tile bathroom  Hopefully this is link to a picture of our bathroom, which we tiled floor to ceiling.  Please bear in mind though that since it was in the basement it had low ceilings.  It also cost a small fortune since they are "authentic" subway tile

Profile picture for bevhills
sounds like you two need to do more design research!

Go to a "Moe's" restraunt, in my area the are tiled to the ceiling. See if you like it. Look in commercial establishments (bathrooms).
I would tend to do that with natural stone such as slate, or tumbled marble but not so much with ceramic tile, unless it looked natural.

It depends on your taste and what you are looking for. If the tiles used are not on point it will look like a public restroom, but on the other hand if the tiles are really exquisite the bathroom will look like something out of home improvement mag.

As for hanging items( pictures, clocks, TV's, etc) in the bathroom if it is tiled to the ceiling  it should not pose a problem.

But get a visual to see if it is something you might want or even like.

Irv

Profile picture for danasdad08820
No I don't want a tv or anything else I just don't want to feel like I have wasted money.

Profile picture for danasdad08820
Heres a picture of the bathroom. It's 5x8 not 6x9.The tiles are a beige color and the surround tiles go all the way to the ceiling.

I would go with 3/4 of the way up the wall, so  it doesn't look too much like a public restroom.  You can still access the walls to hang some pictures, mirror, medicine cabinet etc.   It will give it a much more personal feel. Also, you will be able to change the decor anytime you repaint.

It depends on the style of the tile and the room. Some bathrooms look great in all tile, some look ridiculous. Without a photo or something it's hard to give you real feedback.

You must want to put a flat screen in some inappropriate area of your house. This is your chance.

-Marc