Profile picture for JaneGalt

Should I wait until spring to put my home on the market?

I have a home in Winchendon, MA that I want to sell however wondering if it's best to wait until the spring. I don't want it to sit too long and become "stale". 

However, the longer I wait to put it on the market, the more expense I am incurring in a rental in another location. 

Any advice?

• November 29 2012 - Town of Winchendon

Best Answer

Profile picture for Margie Smigel

Traditionally, the market between Thanksgiving and New Year's has been the slowest of the year, but this year is certainly not traditional and neither is the market.  Here in Chicago there has been an upswing in requests to show. There is a lot of pent-up demand from people who have been waiting to buy during the past few years.  Now that the election is past, they are coming out to see property.  Know that the buyers who come out in the winter are usually the most serious.  They would not be shopping for a home...they'd be in Macy's instead if they were just curious.  Just make sure that when you put your home on the market, it looks the best it can.  Fill it up with lights since the sun goes down so early.  Leave the lights on at night so buyers driving by will see a welcoming sight.  The first 2 weeks of the listing are the most important because the buyers during that period will have seen everything else on the market and will be coming to yours ready to buy if they like it and the price is right.  Good luck!

Profile picture for John Myers
Typically homes don't move very fast in the cold months.  Most buyers wait until spring and begin their search.  I must say this year is different and home sales are brisk and prices are rising here in New Mexico. 
Find a good realtor and list the property now.  Take the home off the market if your home has not sold by the end of January.  Ask your realtor how long the home must be off the market to restet the days on market clock,  Then put the house back on the market at the end of that clock.

Good Luck 

I would put it on the market now. I agree with what other brokers are saying right now, even in Nashville, we are closing new home construction deals in December! It's hot now. 

During the winter season you have less competition and loan officers have more time for buyers and agents as well. In the winter season you also have more serious buyers.

If you are worried about the property going "stale".  Have your broker only list it for 4 months. And re-list it 4.5 months from now. That way it shows up as fresh and new on the market. You may have to check with local rules to see if that is "ethical" but I know it has been done before.

I hope this helps. 

Profile picture for Gavin MaGrath
I think that the time to put your home on the market is now if you need to sell.  That would be now today, next week, or a year from now.  You can employ an entirely different strategy if you do not NEED to sell.  Of course that has to do with market trends.  Right now, it is what it is.  

My philosophy is that you never ever know when the right buyer will pop up. Who says that they will not be there next week.  There is absolutely no point in waiting until the time is "supposed" to be right.

On the flip side, you actually may get a better price now than in the spring as there is less inventory, putting you in higher demand.

You need good marketing and a good presentation of your home.

Check out my website for some interesting information.

Margie could be correct, but it really depends on where you are and how the market trends are.  The market I am in, I am not flying home (to MN) for Christmas, as this is a HOT time to be selling and buying.  Every single market has it's own niche, so get together with an agent as many have said and see what their local opinion is.

Unless you have a good reason to wait I'd get it on the market. Intrest rates are so low and things are moving (at least in my neck of the woods). Best of luck to you!

Profile picture for tlynch26
Jane,

The only thing you lose by not putting your house on the market is a potential buyer.

The market is Massachusetts is VERY busy.  Surprisingly busy for this time of year.  In October, the number of closed home sales in Massachusetts was up again for the 16th straight month compared to the year before.

Identify a good realtor.  Ask friends/colleagues for recommendations and interview a few.  The two most important criteria for selling your home is marketing and price.  You will want to be sure your realtor demonstrates how (s)he will market your home, and provides you with "comps" to determine market value.

Tom Lynch

Great question Jane! 

It all depends on the condition of your house and the price range your house falls in.

Here in Virginia we have very little inventory for homes under $300K. Therefore, homes in this $300K and under price range go under contract quickly, while homes above $300K seem to sit on the market a little longer. The first thing I would do is contact a local Realtor and ask them to do a Comparative Market Analysis on your property. Ask them to show you days on market now, compare to days on market for last spring.

Typically the Spring market is very strong, compare to the winter market, but it all depends on your local market current inventory & the number of interested buyers.  Supply & Demand.  

Good Luck!!

I agree with speaking with someone who knows your local market.

The weekend before Thanksgiving my team put on two new listings and they both had about 30 individual groups through the open house, many private showings and both entertained multiple offers before accepting an offer within the first week.

Inventory is tight right now in many towns and the buyers are definately out there!

thanks for posting your question on Zillow.com!

a local realtor will best be able to give you the answer as a can assess the local market.

there are many different thoughts on this but living in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania my thought is it is better to wait because people are holiday shopping end of November into December and recovering from credit card debt from the holidays January and February.

there will be more buyers in spring but there also be more sellers. More sellers should not affect the seller that puts out a quality product with the correct price. That combination may not need you sold over the winter months because people on shopping.

conversely, there will be less competition during the winter months but also less buyers.

if you need a quality referal, just let me know.