Should i continue with the buying process or cancel everything?

I'm  a first time home buyer and I found the house that I really love, but I found out that half of the house is manufactured home and the rest is not. so my concern is if the house would diminish its value in the future. The house is rancher style with 2.12 acre.
  • December 19 2013 - Brookside
  • 0

Best Answer

I would first look at how the construction is of the home.  If it is well built and it is hard to tell that its an add on then I would move forward with the purchase.  Is the entire house over a basement?  What part of the house is the manufactured part?  Is there any kind of tax break for having it structured that way?  If the house looks like the neighbors and its really hard to tell that it is a modular I dont think I would hesitate.  Especially if it has a basement and the taxes are a bit less then other homes in the area.  

What did your agent advise? We have a Brookside here in Kansas City but I'm pretty sure you're not talking about this Brookside. There are areas of the country where manufactured homes retain value better than they do in most parts of the country. Please ask your agent as they will know more specifics about the particular house and area. 

Of course, 602x. This is the compromise that makes it the best place to live in for the dollar - part modular, part stick. I would buy it, if it were a good value, and I'd try to remember (very difficult to do, of course) that, when I go to sell it, it has to be as good a deal for the next buyer as it was for me!

Thank you for answering my question Jason.  The county has it recorded as a single family home rather than a trailer. it doesn't have a basement, and there is no tax break. do you think it would be a problem to sell it in the future? I didn't know that part of the house was a trailer until the inspector told us, but the house looks like a normal house not a modular. thank you.

The first thing i would do is make sure the house is all permitted. There is not necessary anything wrong with a manufactured house. Some people will be deterred, but many times you are getting the house at a discount anyways. All buildings will depreciate in value based on age. You should see what the neighbors houses are too. 

Profile picture for JudyRohlf
I had a home that was half just like yours I had a hard time selling it, look on the auditor sight and see how they have it listed, call a local agent and get a inspector over there to look at the home.

This would certainly be an issue for some people, but I don't think it would a major problem. If the county has it recorded as a single family home rather than a trailer I would think you would be fine. My concern is that everything was built to code and that the manufactured part is on a proper foundation (not blocks, jacks, etc.). A good home inspector would be able to help out with some of those concerns.

Although, I did have a sale fall out of escrow once due to the lack of financing. The buyer's lender decided that it was a trailer (mobile home) rather than a manufactured home on a proper foundation. They pulled their financing. This was mostly due to the way the county had it recorded rather than the facts of the house.

Profile picture for Rebecca Marvel
Interesting... Are you planning on living there long term?  Are there permits for the construction?

Talk with your agent -- see if there are similar properties around to compare.  I would love to see pictures of this place.