Profile picture for pjbdsr10

Should i update my 1985 condo? I already have new carpet/paint. Sink/counter in kitchen is1985.

September 01 2010 - Sylvania

Best Answer
Should you update it?   Well, it depends.  

Are you planning on staying there?   Does the kitchen work well, sink in great shape, drawers and cupboards solid?   If so, there is no urgent need to make a change.  If it seems date, you can paint the cupboards and perhaps install a new counter top. 

Or, if drawers are iffy, cupboard shelves like cardboard, the surface looks awful, counter chipped and stained - then redoing it may give you a lot more pleasure.

If you are thinking about resale, look at the above questions.  A poorly functional kitchen can be a very big negative, but kitchen updates are not cheap.

I am both a Realtor and work for this cabinet company, and in my experience the Kitchen has one of the best opportunities to produce a WOW factor than any other location in the home - master bath being #2. Depending on the size, you can change the cabinets and counter tops without spending a great deal of money. The key is to update without breaking the bank. Stay in a reasonable Budget. Of course, Quality is important too. Appraisers take quality into account when producing Value...Buyers do too...and after-all, Buyer-Appeal is what you are seeking to make a sale, right?!!

The kitchen is probably the best room in the house to spend money on and if it's not been updated since 1985, you're probably due.  Lots of people update right before selling and don't get to enjoy the benefits of a beautiful new kitchen.  I would also say don't do it until you can do it right,  if you take shortcuts it can really backfire on you when you are ready to sell.

As Pat mentioned, the Kitchen is the "Hub" and life-blood of the home. Found a least expensive way Refinishing Kitchen Cabinets, an article I recently discovered and published. Good Luck!

If you are selling your condo, and have the money to update your kitchen, I suggest that you do so.  Your condo will stand out from the competition.  The kithchen tends to be the "hub of the home."

Are you planning on selling?  Does it need updating?  Give the forum some additional information and I'm sure you will get some sound opinions.

Simon Mills
Mills Realty