Should seller give buyer access before closing to get repair estimates?

I am buying a house and the seller asked to push the closing date back two weeks. I agreed but since I have less time to now move and am facing a deadline with my lease ending, I asked for one two-hour timeframe of their choosing to come to the house to get estimates for the repair work that needs to get done (new carpets, painting, etc...) but the seller is giving me a very hard time. Is my request unreasonable or is it common for the seller to allow this?
  • May 04 2014 - US
  • 0

May all go well to meet your needs, but make sure to have a "plan B" if they don't let you do the visit (which is within their rights). 

Yes, I do have the inspection. The main issue is they have dogs and my kids are allergic to pet dander so we need to get the carpets replaced before we move in. The other inspection related repairs can wait until after we move in. I do think it may be that they have other things going on, but that is why I wanted to check that I wasn't being out of line. Thanks everyone!

Did you have an inspection from an ASHI or NASHI inspector?  Don't forget you get to have a walk thru the morning of closing.   You cannot bring up new issues in a walk thru but you verify that all that is to be there  is still there

I do not see an issue with that but I would want to be sure that all is okay with their loan.
Do you think the buyer is trying to find something wrong in order to back out of the sale?

Thank you both! That is what I thought. Their agent just keeps saying they're difficult and won't push the issue.

As the seller has pushed the closing date back, I suspect they have something going on where "one more thing" may be too much (illness, Mom died, discovered packing is too much or whatever).    Have your agent work with the listing agent and see if they can identify a two hour period when the seller is not home.  

The seller does not have to agree to any visits besides those identified in the initial contract, so if they do agree consider it a favor.   You granted them a favor by allowing them to move closing back two weeks, so hopefully they will be equally generous.

Your request is very reasonable.  If the seller has an agent the agent should tell him it is actually a normal
request

It is reasonable, it is common, the seller SHOULD give buyer access - and they are under no obligation to do so.