Profile picture for rosewhistle

Should we close on the house?

We asked for repairs to be done by licensed professionals, in particular the roof and the hot water heater, with a stipulation that we could back out of the contract if they weren't done. The seller agreed to most of the repairs, but during the walk through, we discovered that the heater wasn't up to code, other miscellaneous repairs were sloppy, and the contractor who'd been listed as having done the work didn't even know about the property when we called. (At least they were a licensed general contractor, but still!)

The inspector says that the house looks like it's in better shape than it had been for his first inspection and we could move in, but we don't have a licensed roofer having signed off on the repairs and we worry that if the seller was this sketchy about the repairs, what else is wrong with the house?

We truly love the house and location, it's reasonably priced, and we've made plans for moving in this week. Should we scramble to prolong the period or just sign on the dotted line now?  Thank you so much for taking the time to answer!

February 04 - US

Best Answer
Sometimes, It is better to ask for a credit rather than having the seller do repairs. At this point, you can accept the current condition, especially that you like a house, location a lot. You may also ask that the seller to provide extra credit at closing so you can have certain repairs improved. You should talk and ask why heater installation is not up to the code, ask for permits etc, but again it is up to the seller to provide you with the proof. If you really like the house, I would try to ask the seller for reasonable credit or have him improve the sloppy work (which I doubt will be better) or accept its current condition, or walk away.

February 04
Profile picture for rosewhistle
We have made the seller put money in escrow for the repairs if we find them unsuitable, and he's scheduled a roofer to come out to inspect the house repairs in a week. :) Thank you all for the answers on this thread! I hate feeling like I couldn't do anything and he had us in his nefarious clutches. (...Okay, a little melodramatic, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who has felt powerless in similar situations.)

February 04
I recommend delaying closing to allow the items to be fixed properly.  The seller agreed to those repairs in writing & hasn't completed his contractual obligation.  This will show you are serious about enforcing what you have negotiated, but that you will still close the home once they are done as agreed & done correct.  I'd request a copy of permit for the roof and hot water tank installation/repairs.  For the other items not done in a "workman like" manner, I'd either schedule a meeting with the contractors or persons that did the work to meet you & your realtor there in person to discuss, or make the seller pay a contractor of your choice to finish the work right.  That would be an easy solution to get you the home you still want, get the seller sold on the home they are counting on selling/closing, & have things done to keep you from second guessing your new purchase. 

Or, you can keep your closing date & force sellers to pay a contractor of your choice to finish repairs after closing & with your direction.  You'd need to submit a bid & have title company withhold check from sellers proceeds.  Then you'd hold that check until repairs are done.

I'd hate for you to constantly worry & not be able to enjoy your families new home!

Eric Locke
KS Realtor 11+ yrs.

February 04
I would delay the closing and get the repairs done properly.  the seller agreed to this, he wants to sell, the contract states the repairs need to be done properly.  the seller is not being honest, you have to ask yourself what else was he dishonest about?  if you love the house and you feel in your gut you want to still buy it, do so, but when dealing with dishonesty, that's difficult for me, how about you?  Dianne Godsey, Keller Williams Realty.

February 04
I would delay closing.  I'd call out the seller on their deceit and ask for remediation to meet what was agreed in writing.  If they are not willing to do so, I'd back out of the contract.  Please work with your agent so you do this in a legal manner and don't lose your earnest money.

February 04