Small Studio with Built-In Murphy Bed - Should I Remove It?

I've got a small studio that has a built-in murphy bed (also known as a wall-bed).  My personal preference is to remove it.  Do you think this will significantly reduce (or increase) the value of the property?

I imagine it would cost a few thousand to have a new one installed at a later date (of similar quality).
  • September 19 2012 - US
  • 0

Best Answer

Hi there,
  Murphy Beds are quite unique and if it of really good quality, my question is what are the reasons you considering removing it to begin with?
  If you don't want to use it, you can just leave it closed/up all the time without loosing that feature/value. And if in the future, should your needs of the space ever change, it's still there.
Thomas Richard

I hear what you are saying. What about treating it like a fixed wall in the space like this or this or this and not folding it down but using your daybed or couch in front if the space allows? 

It is your space so you should do what you like best. If you are planning to sell in 1-3 years, I would probably leave so you can benefit from it on the sale. If your timetable is longer, follow your own decorating sense and just stage it when it comes time to move.

Thanks for the responses.  Reasons for wanting to remove it:

It is a queen Murphy bed with built-in cabinetry on the sides.  Therefore it takes up a significant amount of space. 

When it's up, it protrudes a couple feet into the room, interfering with views (in a minor way).  It takes up about 18 sq ft.  I could furnish around it, but every sq ft counts in a small studio.

When it's down, it takes up most of the walking space. There's no place to put, for example, a coffee table.

For my own purposes, I'd rather have a daybed or sofabed that doesn't take up as much vertical height, and can serve as a couch for entertaining.  The daybed would have a smaller footprint than a queen mattress, so I could have a coffee table.

However, I sleep alone -- I realize a couple would probably prefer the queen.

I'm not trying to convince the reader either way -- just wanted to provide additional information on my personal reasons for wanting to get rid of it. 

It sounds like people think it adds value, even though removing it will make the studio seem bigger at showings.

I'd also vote for leaving it. 

I would not remove it. Murphy beds in small spaces are popular and an efficient use of space. Buyers looking at your house will see it as a plus so since pulling it out would not increase your value, I would leave it.

Murphy beds on the wall are easy to furnish around. If you don't like the look of it, you could reface it with a different wood or a patterned laminate. Then. pust put your couch or furnishings up against it and treat it like a solid wall.