Profile picture for pinksandbaby

Snapped garage door cable.

I'm now afraid to even try to open the garage door manually (guess I can) for fear of it falling on me lol... my car is neatly inside leading me to do some walking w/ the kids.  Any ideas on who would fix this?  I have stretched and got it back on "track" before, but now thw cable is actually in 2 pieces and scares me.  What to do?  Handyman?
  • January 08 2009 - Mobile
  • 0

Profile picture for pinksandbaby
Yellowpages to the rescue!  I called a guy this am and he was here after lunch- nice.  Replaced both cables and springs, checked the lubing (it was good) and replaced the weatherstipping on the bottom.  $167.50 and one happy lady!  He checked out the other door too, but was satisfied w/ it's operation.  No weatherstripping for that one though, he didn't have a long enough piece.  I'll get some though now that I helped him do it.  I held it and he asked me to "feed me".  I thought he meant he was hungry and offered him food, but he meant to hold it while he ran it through.  I am a moron.  I did give him coffee though lol

Profile picture for Blue Nile
If you don't remember how the cable is supposed to be routed through the pullies, you can look at the other side while the door is propped open for an "example".

Profile picture for Blue Nile
with now assistance --> with *no* assistance

Profile picture for Blue Nile
I accidently disconnected the cable from a friend's rollup garage door when trying to make an adjustment, and parts flew.

Actually, the cable is not that hard to replace, and the door is not that hard to open even with now assistance from the springs.  (You still have one spring helping on one side).

And once the door is all the way up, there is not that much weight pulling it down.

You will want assistance, and you will want something to temporarily wedge under the door on the side with the broken cable.  Pull the door up from the end with the broken cable, not the middle; put something under to get inside.  remove the broken hardware and spring so that it is not in the way, won't jamb, and won't accidently fall on your car.  Then open the door fully placing something under the door (like a 2x4) to support the side that has no spring.  route the new cable through the pulleys and re-attach.  (actually it is usually the spring that breaks instead, so you may be replacing springs as well...)  Since you have pulled the door up higher than it normally goes, you have some extra room for getting the cable tight.  If you want it a bit tighter, you can have someone partially stretch the spring while you make the connection.

Of course you could just hire a day laborer, or even pay to have a garage door installer do it, but I know you and your husband could do it with no problems.