Profile picture for verydave

Someone is using my listing with a different monthly rent and phone number

I posted my rental on Zillow for $1,095 per month. I received an email tonight about the rental (and a phone call), and when I went to Zillow, I noticed that my posting had been duplicated right above my real listing with the rent being $500 a month. And, the phone number was a phone number with a Michigan area code. 

How do I delete the bogus ad? 

September 08 2013 - Vandalia

You can flag it using the report problem with listing (near the bottom of the page with the phone number) and Zillow will remove it. The scammer seems to have many scam rental listings under the (734) 219-4886 number.

Sadly, rental scams are everywhere. All you can do is be vigilant and report them when you see them. That helps everyone.

Profile picture for tleeshan
OMG....I really really hope this is NOT for the rental I was approved for just last week!!!! 
It's a rental property in Indianapolis on the south side of town. 4br, 2bth seems like an AWESOME deal.....I PRAY to GOD this is not a scam!!!

If the rental that you rented was using this phone number, you may be in trouble. It looks like a reported scammers phone number. Was the rent below market for your area? That is often a red flag for scams.

Did you send them money? If yes, then you need to consider contacting your bank ASAP to stop payment on the check or your money order company to put a stop on that. Others are on Zillow are reporting that phone number 734-219-4886 as trouble so better safe than sorry.

Profile picture for tleeshan
I haven't sent any money thank GOD! The 'owner' wants me to pay through a Moneypack account. We've text over a cell with a local (317) phone # . We've only spoke once. He send me pictures of himself (an active duty soldier) along with the lease for me to review. 

Glad you did not send money. I would let moneypack know that this person is a reported fraudster so they can freeze the account pending investigation.

Also, if you think that it is a scam, do others a favor and post the property address information, the scammers text number and any email he is using in this thtread. Many people who google end up on Zillow and are able to avoid the scammer that way.

Property is not rented like this legitimately 99% of the time. Real owners want to meet the person they are renting to and if they can't or are truly overseas or out of state, they hire a management company to handle rent up or enlist family or friends in the local area to help show.

I smell a scam and am offended that this person is apparently hiding behind a US uniform to gain credibility.

Profile picture for tleeshan
I'm utterly DISGUSTED,myself!! Me and my children are homeless... due to ANOTHER shady practice!! I prayed to GOD for a miracle and thought this was it, my kids are so excited... so relieved. I cannot break this awful news to them!!! "Solider Faulk M.Collis ,we texted and even talked from his "number @ 317-804-4548 and emailed from: goodhousefamily@yahoo.com He almost had me!!! PLEASE PLEASE BEWARE!!!

Miracles don't happen in the rental prices, therefore, read the FAQ on scams and internet fraud so you can prepared and depend on yourself to find an excellent rental home for you and your children.   It works far better than depending on a diety.

Scammers are every where not matter how hard internet sites work to keep them out.  Scammers know everyone is looking for a bargain, so if prices look like a miracle, the probability is high that they are a scam.

Hello: Im sorry to hear that! We had an office meeting last week and this was one of the discussions. People (scammers) are now targeting homes that are for sale and rent and re-posting the information as if the property is their own. They mark the property down to a low price and try to get people to give them a deposit. This is a big bummer. 

Here is what you can do, contact Zillow and let them know the posting is a fraud. Zillow should take down the fake posts. Also, go on craigslist and make sure it is not posted on there. You will have to keep track of the house. Hope everything goes well! 

tleeshan, your frustration and disgust is totally understandable. You should know that you are not alone. Many people have been tricked by these scammers.

The best way to help others avoid scammers is by posting their information just like you did. Kudos to you for doing that and I hope you find another place soon.

Profile picture for tleeshan
Thank you all so much! I refuse to tell me children but I will just keep moving forward....I know there are some honest landlords here in Indy...somewhere! 

If it is a local number and the rental is local, go by and see if it is legit.  You haven't found out if this "soldier" is a fraud.  He might be for real.  I would check it out.  Although I know there are fraud's on here.  I have a house listed for sale and there is a "rent" ad on here for the same property.

Profile picture for Fran Barbaree
Latest reply by Fran Barbaree

1. 395 Woodland Meadows Dr, Vandalia, OH Home For Sale
    395 Woodland Meadows Dr, Vandalia, OH 45377

2. 7695 Turtle Creek Dr, Dayton, OH Home For Sale
    7695 Turtle Creek Dr, Dayton, OH 45414

3. 7461 Downing St, Dayton, OH Home For Sale
    7461 Downing St, Dayton, OH 45414