Profile picture for eliz2nd

Speaking of woodwork My home built in 1880 has beautiful oak trim 10"baseboards should I paint ?

February 22 2009 - Madison

Profile picture for jean214
Don't paint your beautiful original oak. If it were cheap pine, that would be a different matter. As a homeowner who stripped one room of painted trim, I can tell you the oak underneath was stunning. House was built in 1916. We just could not tackle the job house-wide.

I would suggest not painting.  Oak has lots of "graining" where the true beauty of the wood shows.  Painting would cover the beauty.  Woods seem to go in trends and Oak was very popular and I believe still has popularity and demand.  Good luck with your project. 

Profile picture for BungalowMo
Without a doubt...don't paint! 

If I can also add...don't replace your old original windows either.  They are an essential part of the beauty of that place.  Correctly reglazed, they will outlast US! 

They have already lasted over 120 years!

(I hope you still have them!)

I am so glad that no one has told you to paint your woodwork. The only time that you should paint woodwork is if it's badly damaged or if it's a species of wood that's not attractive (think birch, pine). Oak woodwork adds huge value to a vintage home. I cringe when I see painted woodwork in a home and wonder what's underneath. The same goes for painted brick which is an even worse nightmare to strip the paint off.

February 24 2009
Profile picture for smirkinchicken
Historical accuracy would leave it unpainted, if that's a factor in your consideration.

February 24 2009
Wood is good.

February 23 2009
original is best. Restore if anything, not paint

February 23 2009
Profile picture for eliz2nd
yes! that has been my feeling I love the  old oak and have spent many many hours stripping away the old varnish and brown paint on the stairs to reveal the beautiful grain and have felt I could not be the one to ever paint over it.   I was interested in what others thought about this subject  I will admit I love the look of the trim white but as you said its just the fashion now . What colours work well  with the wood to compliment the beauty of it .

February 23 2009
I second that. NO! Please somebody will love that wood and will appreciate every inch of it. I know white is clean and in right now, but your woodwork will really appeal to people who will love your 1880 home when it comes time to sell. Please reconsider painting. It is so hard to strip.

February 22 2009
NO!  

I can't tell you how many hundreds of hours of our lives we've spent removing paint from glorious old wood work.

February 22 2009