Profile picture for AlphaAlpha

Spec sheet for the basement

Hello, we would like to finish a basement. I need to prepare myself to interview contractors. I heard of spec sheet that would help. It desribes in details what needs to be done and what materials will be used. I am worry more what will go to works behind the sheetrock  like types of insulation and grades of the material. Anything that is not visible to the eye. I hate to get what I paid for, I rever stretch the dollar for the most value. Thus I need to understand what I am paying for. Anyone?

At least what keystones I shoudn't overlook.

• February 03 2009 - Appleton
  • 0

Profile picture for AlphaAlpha

Mark, trully appreciated for yout time and knowledge! I sure will do.

Thank you...

To answer your question better, you should visit your town building dept. They should be able to list for you the requirements for your area.
   In CT Pressure treated plates are required for the shoe of the wall. Be aware that the new PT lumber has to have ACQ rated pins to fasten to concrete floor or walls also the nails used in the PT framing must be ACQ rated.
  Framing in my opinion should be 16"o.c.. Typically we insulate the outside walls with the vapor barrier to the inside.
  Always seal any noticeable cracks in the foundation with water plug. It is good practice to seal floor to wall with a good silicone caulk before the framing is started.
   Many types of drywall are available today. If a concern is raised about possible mold growth. Use a mold resistant sheetrock on the exterior walls and standard on the ceiling.
  By utilizing a drop ceiling this can benefit in many ways. Having a gap between the ceiling and floor above with insulation between existing floor joists cuts down the sound that travels between floors. Drop ceiling also allows for access to existing pipes or junction boxes.
  Tile is a great way to finish the floor. If the basement ever floods the floor will stay in tact.
   The most important aspect of any project is protect yourself by taking out the proper permits, Hire a professional if necessary and check the companies References, Insurance, License, Warranties, Understand the Contract. Large Deposits should not be necessary.