Spouse is not on title or mortgage. Does he need to sign dower doc?

Hello!
I'm married but buying a house myself. Mortgage as well as the title will be on my name only. I live in Ohio and OH is a dower state. Does my husband need to sign a dower document prior to closing? I don't want to add him to the title right now (we have reason for that and its mutual) but I also don't want him to sign the dower document. Is it possible to close on the house without having him sign it?
Thank you very much!!!
  • June 25 2012 - Cleveland
  • 0

Of course, you can buy a house by yourself.  The problem is that when you go to sell, your husband who has a dower interest because you are married when you purchased, will have to sign to release his dower interest.  Call a reputable local attorney or title company to see how he can release his dower interest before you take title. Good luck!  You sound like one smart lady!

I would contact a competent Real Estate Attorney in your area to get a solid answer on what to do with this situation.